Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default what ar

i am new to the AR world and wanted to get some advice where to start and what would be a good dependable choice. my budget is somewhat tight so consider that in the choice. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

On a tight budget you can't hardly beat what you get with the Smith & Wesson AR's. PSA, Spikes Tactical, Del-Ton and Rock River are also good choices.

There are some really great Christmas Sales going on right now, so you better act fast.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If I were in your shoes PSA would be my choice. W/ PSA you'll get all your mil-spec parts, the others don't offer this at this price range.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

If you're really on a budget, might I suggest building your own? It's fairly easy, fun, and you get an intimate knowledge of your new firearm. All while saving a little cash as well. Check out PSAs stripped lowers, they often go on sale for 50 bucks and the quality is very nice.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1138 View Post
If you're really on a budget, might I suggest building your own? It's fairly easy, fun, and you get an intimate knowledge of your new firearm. All while saving a little cash as well. Check out PSAs stripped lowers, they often go on sale for 50 bucks and the quality is very nice.
At PSA prices building your own and ending up w/ the same quality is going to be very difficult.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #6

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
At PSA prices building your own and ending up w/ the same quality is going to be very difficult.
Very true , I looked in to building one myself and realistically it was within about $50 for a already built PSA. Now just waiting very impatiently for it to get here . Im guessing it wont be here by Christmas as I have no tracking number yet and 5 of their 8 rifles available are on back order . im truely hoping the back order helps get my gun out quicker since they arent currently taking any more orders on the out of stock stuff . My next AR will be my own build

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

The reason psa is cheap for fully assembled milspec is they arent charging much if anything for the labor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

i know this is stupid but what is psa.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This
Rifles

I bought a sw sport. good gun and also can be bought below 600 dollars. Both good guns.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

On a tight budget, PSA and maybe Spikes are hard to beat. It can be done building your own, even with milspec parts, since you avoid the 11% FET on the complete rifle. Of course any mistakes on your build and you lose.

Honestly we don't know what your specs are so can only give you general answers.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.