Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What about the new AR comp windham

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What about the new AR comp windham

Do you think they will have same quality as bushmaster because they are ex workers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

From what I've seen and read the Windham, Maine BMs are better than the new ones made in Ilion, NY.

There are better choices for the same money so you might look elsewhere.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 AM   #3

They are not BM firearms it is a entirely different company!Windham is a brand new company using Old BM workers.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Do you have a link? Same machinery? Same suppliers?

I'm curious, what makes you interested in trying a brand new company?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

They're not a brand new company.
The same owner who sold Bushmaster bought back his old facility & hired back his old employees. He did update some of the machinery. Most was still up to date.
I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of his employes are members here.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 02-03-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Fixed it for you

Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #6

I bet there's an interesting story behind all this. And I wish them well but doubt the quality will be good enough to take a chance on this new venture when there are so many proven ARs already.

______

Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It would be nice to have another quality AR on the market. The thing is if I'm not mistaken, same people, same machine, same product. I'm not holding my breath. Kicking old habits doesn't happen over night.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
I bet there's an interesting story behind all this. And I wish them well but doubt the quality will be good enough to take a chance on this new venture when there are so many proven ARs already.

I'm not worried about their quality. Same machinery, parts & employees.
I think they sold out @ a perfect time. But getting back into the already flooded market is kind of risky. Maybe they think they're going to get back all their clientele & those lucrative DOD contracts.

I think the manufactures needs the new "must" have weapon. With so many company's concentrating on building AR's, 1911, building & importing AK's that some company will have the financing & vision for the next big thing.
FN (among others) have some nice rifles with some nice technology Behind them. They are not getting the following of the the common everyday buyer because of high prices & the lack of readily available aftermarket bling. Anybody build an FN90 lately?

I really hope than Windham Weaponry will become a leader again in the firearm community. They have cash, skill & a great reputation behind them. But how will they stand out is the question.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 02-03-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Fixed it for you. At least most of it

Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #9

Well here is one story:
Who is Windham Weaponry? | HausofGuns.com | Gun and Gear Reviews, Hunting and Outdoor Products, Video

Nice story, rehiring employees that Bushmaster let go in Windham, ME to relocate to their Ilion, NY plant with DPMS. But that's not enough reason to put them on the GTG list.

______

Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey fellas, I haven't been too present on the forum because of time, but wanted to add my 2 cents about the "new" Windham setup...

First off, not just same plant employees (30 some if I remember right), but the same executives as well. Dick Dyke is the one who had money from the sale sitting in his pocket and felt a moral conviction when he saw "his" people finding themselves out of work. Windham's leadership still has major inroads with other related companies. I'm generally a skeptical person, but after shaking Richard Dyke's hand, looking him in the eye, and doing the same with Sales VP Mark Eliason, I feel like they're in it for the right reasons. Add the fact that they're building CA, NY and NJ legal ARs right off the line, and it shows they care about shooters all over the US, not just the ones in free states.

"Practical Gun & Gear Reviews for the Average Joe Shooter"