what are 62gr green tip penetrator good for? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what are 62gr green tip penetrator good for?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lufkin,Texas
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Id hope so after asking a Q like that. Who asks stuff like that.
I was just perusing old threads and saw that question. Couldn't resist answering it. I agree, who asks what killing bullets were designed for? It is a pretty simple concept from the start in my opinion...
__________________
TexasPatriot is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
I was just perusing old threads and saw that question. Couldn't resist answering it. I agree, who asks what killing bullets were designed for? It is a pretty simple concept from the start in my opinion...
I ment who asks...>
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
Will this kind of ammo be more effective against level 4 ceramic plates since the have that steel core?. You know how some ceramic plates have a 3,4,6, etc breaking point.
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lufkin,Texas
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I ment who asks...>
exactly...what and who is this guy planning on shooting? I have plenty of body armour, but am not out trying to find ways to blow holes through it. If it got to the point I couldn't trust our own law enforcement, there are better and more effective ways of dealing with situations like that. Preferably along the lines of sending on their merry way in search of employment more adapted to their mentality.
__________________
TexasPatriot is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
exactly...what and who is this guy planning on shooting? I have plenty of body armour, but am not out trying to find ways to blow holes through it. If it got to the point I couldn't trust our own law enforcement, there are better and more effective ways of dealing with situations like that. Preferably along the lines of sending on their merry way in search of employment more adapted to their mentality.
I stumbled across this forum and this thread because I was trying to find the level of body armor I could penetrate with the ammunition I bought for that purpose.

Anyone who believes law enforcement is the only group with body armor is simply naive, or not paying attention. Do a Google search for "home invasion body armor" and you'll quickly find examples in Arizona, Louisiana, Illinois, Connecticut, North Carolina, Washington, etc. Home invaders have learned that people defend themselves with guns, and they have started getting body armor. Many suspects in home invasions are arrested because they illegally possess body armor despite felony convictions.

If you rely upon a handgun for home defense, practice the failure to stop drill. You may need it.
__________________
Houston_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Theres other places you can find that info. I think we'd rather they look somewhere else for the answers.

__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lufkin,Texas
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_guy View Post
I stumbled across this forum and this thread because I was trying to find the level of body armor I could penetrate with the ammunition I bought for that purpose.

Anyone who believes law enforcement is the only group with body armor is simply naive, or not paying attention. Do a Google search for "home invasion body armor" and you'll quickly find examples in Arizona, Louisiana, Illinois, Connecticut, North Carolina, Washington, etc. Home invaders have learned that people defend themselves with guns, and they have started getting body armor. Many suspects in home invasions are arrested because they illegally possess body armor despite felony convictions.

If you rely upon a handgun for home defense, practice the failure to stop drill. You may need it.
I do NOT, personally, rely on a handgun for primary home defense, but an AK in pistol guise with a 75 round drum in the well. Since I live with my wife only, and out in the boonies, blow through isn't a problem. It rests in a custom rack next to my bed. 1.2 seconds to grab it, target aquisition is simple with a laser sight with the 'switch' mounted on the pistol grip. I don't see many obstacles standing in the way of implementing a solid 'stop' scenario. Even if the intruder manages to overcome the disheartening sensation associated with a massive firewall of lead and muzzle flashes coming from the little monster at the extremely close ranges associated with home intrusions. I could see myself seeking distance from the horrid spectacle it presents.
__________________
TexasPatriot is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
diggsbakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pueblo,Colorado
Posts: 1,680
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

This question could have been legit, but next to the description of this ammo, in every gun store, either online or actual retail, it usually states clearly: Penetrating, steel core, 62 grain.

It's pretty self explainatory. . . ?

But then they fouled it up by stating a lame purpose.

Personally I buy them for shooting metal junk and SHTF. .. It can be entertaining to see what/how much they go through and just have fun destroying junk stuff!

They are also pretty reasonably priced, so if you just want to see how your rifle shoots 62 grain stuff, they are good for that too.

__________________
diggsbakes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ktmboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Steep Falls,Maine
Posts: 1,210
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

They went on sale at Cabelas today for 6.99 a box thats not bad @ 350 for 1K rounds

__________________
ktmboyz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fremont,CA
Posts: 483
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Ammo getting cheaper now that supply is catching up with demand?
Maybe now that we are getting closer to ending these wars?

Hope it keeps dropping.

I tried buying some green tips in California a while back and was denied shipment here.
Is anyone going to say they might be good for light armor to no armor vehicles? Might not always be shooting at people.

__________________

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Gloves is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
diggsbakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pueblo,Colorado
Posts: 1,680
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I've seen a slight decrease around these parts, as well as the online sights that I order from. I hope it keeps going that way!

__________________
diggsbakes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
For the Green Movement slowryde45 The Club House 2 09-18-2009 04:00 AM
Mounting a Red/Green Dot on an AR-10 Jesse17 Optics & Mounts 5 03-25-2009 08:40 PM
ammo 223 62gr best deal glock 4 life Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 08-24-2007 01:50 PM