Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What 6.5 grendel bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

Default What 6.5 grendel bolt

I am looking for the best bolt for my precision 6.5 Grendel build. I am using a BHW .264 lbc barrel. I have heard there may be some head space problems with a 7.62x39 bolt. Any opinions on what bolt to use and the head space issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you have the tim call BHW. They will give you the best suggestions and please share your findings with us!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
If you have the tim call BHW. They will give you the best suggestions and please share your findings with us!
Idk why I don't think of that. Check your pm's

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Hew tikka. I just got off the phone with BHW. They said because of everything being out of stock they stopped making barrels for type 2 bolts and started making them for type 1. Because it has been easier for people to find type 1. They said they will make a barrel for type 2 if that's what you won't.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

........so what you're saying is that they go both ways?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #6

This is what I found on ar15armory......

OK. Lets back up a minute. The original Grendel was a TYPE I. The chamber was about 1.200 deep on the datum/shoulder line .The bolt face was a nominal 0.125 deep. At that point guys were using 7.62X39 bolts as that was what fits. Now over time Alexander Arms went to a TYPE II chamber. This one is approximately 1.190 at the datum/shoulder line. Well chamber is shallower and the brass ain't changing so the depth of the bolt was increased to a nominal 0.135. ( All specs are from memory so I may be off 0.001 or so)

At this point the true Grendel bolt came into existence. Some places are still doing the type I chambers and many have gone to TYPE II. Black Hole on a 2643LBC/6.5 Grendel does a TYPE II. Their WILDCAT non-standard LBC/Grendels are all TYPE I.

Bolts are available from several sources. Lots of guys here on the Armory have got TYPE II's and TYPE I's from Tactical Ammunition.

Now if you mix and match the two you have issues of too short a chamber or overly long. A true handloader can actually mix 'em up and come out with an improved case capacity but it is not for the faint of heart or a beginner.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #7

Do they sell the bolts at BHW too?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #8

Quote:
........so what you're saying is that they go both ways?
If you have them make a barrel for type 1 you must use a type 1 bolt. Type 2 barrel type 2 bolt. You can't change them up. That's ware the headspace issue comes in I was talking about. It shows it all here.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/DZncepUMgBg

Sent from my iPhone

Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #9

Quote:
This is what I found on ar15armory......

OK. Lets back up a minute. The original Grendel was a TYPE I. The chamber was about 1.200 deep on the datum/shoulder line .The bolt face was a nominal 0.125 deep. At that point guys were using 7.62X39 bolts as that was what fits. Now over time Alexander Arms went to a TYPE II chamber. This one is approximately 1.190 at the datum/shoulder line. Well chamber is shallower and the brass ain't changing so the depth of the bolt was increased to a nominal 0.135. ( All specs are from memory so I may be off 0.001 or so)

At this point the true Grendel bolt came into existence. Some places are still doing the type I chambers and many have gone to TYPE II. Black Hole on a 2643LBC/6.5 Grendel does a TYPE II. Their WILDCAT non-standard LBC/Grendels are all TYPE I.

Bolts are available from several sources. Lots of guys here on the Armory have got TYPE II's and TYPE I's from Tactical Ammunition.

Now if you mix and match the two you have issues of too short a chamber or overly long. A true handloader can actually mix 'em up and come out with an improved case capacity but it is not for the faint of heart or a beginner.
That's almost exactly what they told me. But currently they have stopped producing type 2 and went to type1 because type 2 bolts are hard to find at the moment. But if you won't then to make you one in type2 they will. It will probably be charged as custom work tho.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Do they sell the bolts at BHW too?
No they told me I can get one at tactical ammunition. But I'm thanking about just ordering it from AA.