Well I did it! My First Build! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Well I did it! My First Build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Nice work...have you decided on an upper yet?

Noticed no one has mentioned it yet, don't let the hammer fall on the bolt release when you function test the trigger...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post

Noticed no one has mentioned it yet, don't let the hammer fall on the bolt release when you function test the trigger...
Thanks for the heads up. I put my finger over the hammer to function test the trigger.

I was thinking a spikes upper with Dpms 20" floating bull barrel.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrawick View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I put my finger over the hammer to function test the trigger.

I was thinking a spikes upper with Dpms 20" floating bull barrel.
Are you looking to DIY the upper? Only reason I ask is that is rather ambitious for your first build.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

Damn. Good catch Jpyle! That is definitely a BIG No-No.

Definitely do not let the hammer slam into your lower. Bad Juju comes of that.....

Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Are you looking to DIY the upper? Only reason I ask is that is rather ambitious for your first build.
Actually I was thinking of building the upper. You think I should buy a complete upper?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Building the upper takes some specialized tools and is a little ambitious for your first time out. However, if you are set on it and have a local gunsmith that would check your headspacing for you, I don't see any reason not to.

Also, as to your upper build, make sure you really want a 20" heavy barrel for you first AR. I only say this because it's exactly what I built for my first, and once I was done with it I figured out it really wasn't the AR I wanted. I still like that gun, but I ended up building another one very soon after because I realized I wanted an AR that I could shoot off hand, standing or even moving, more of a battle rifle. All I'm saying is make sure you really want a benchrest/bipod gun, because that's what a 20" heavy barrel will be.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrawick View Post
Actually I was thinking of building the upper. You think I should buy a complete upper?
Not necessarily. Others including me have chosen to build the lower and buy an assembled upper while some have built the complete rifle. It all depends on your mechanical ability and confidence. I will offer up that the upper is the more complicated assembly and it does require a few more tools and knowledge than the lower.

If you feel up to it by all means give it a shot; there are plenty of folks here to lean on for advice. Worse case you pack it all up in a box and take it to the local gunsmith to assemble it for you.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #28

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

If you can find a quality upper factory configured the way you want, I would go with it. If not or if you want the experience (and have the tools) then definitely build your upper.

I'm certain with the right tools I could build an upper but with both of my builds found an assembled upper exactly like I wanted so took the easy route.

Either way is fine, and that's the great thing - you get to decide!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input! Think I will buy a complete upper. I really don't want to bite off more than I can chew! You all have way more knowledge than me and will follow the advice.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What will be a caliber upper for hog hunting and can be suppressed. I want something besides a 223.