Wary of MOE. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wary of MOE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Taper pins? What are those for?
as agenttikki said hold the fsb on. they are called taper pins cuz they are thicker on one end than the other. position the fsb put in the taper pins and beat the hell out of em to pin the fsb to the barrel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #32

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
What, in your opinion, is the purpose of a tubular rail. ? Just wondering.
The greatest benefit for a tube rail is to free float the barrel, as in protect the barrel from anything touching it or moving it to throw off your aim.

Then (in no order of importance) comes sight radius, The farther your sights are apart from one another, the more inherently accurate they become.

Modularity, being able to place rails and accesories in various positions on your tuve or quad rail. Light lights, bipods, fore grips, sling mounts etc.

Hand positioning. For fans of the infamous MAGPUL thumbover hold, like the legs of a table, the farther apart your hands are on the gun, the more stable you can hold it and the faster you can move the muzzle when transitioning. Conversely it will fatigue your support arm a little more, but not much more. Just a little more.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #33

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki

The greatest benefit for a tube rail is to free float the barrel, as in protect the barrel from anything touching it or moving it to throw off your aim.

Then (in no order of importance) comes sight radius, The farther your sights are apart from one another, the more inherently accurate they become.

Modularity, being able to place rails and accesories in various positions on your tuve or quad rail. Light lights, bipods, fore grips, sling mounts etc.

Hand positioning. For fans of the infamous MAGPUL thumbover hold, like the legs of a table, the farther apart your hands are on the gun, the more stable you can hold it and the faster you can move the muzzle when transitioning. Conversely it will fatigue your support arm a little more, but not much more. Just a little more.
I'd flop hand placement and free float. The more I shoot the more I realize how important getting your first round on target and getting it there FAST is. Then of course followup shots are important as well. The increased accuracy of a FF over non is small almost not worth noting.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I'd flop hand placement and free float. The more I shoot the more I realize how important getting your first round on target and getting it there FAST is. Then of course followup shots are important as well. The increased accuracy of a FF over non is small almost not worth noting.
Depends on your type of shooting, but for fast short distance shooting I'd say you are right. I've been shooting 200 to 400 yards more and more as I don't have the time to devote a 2-2.5 hour drive (one #$%@$#% way!!!) to BLM land to do that type of shooting. But a sling pulled in tight or putting a non FF guard on a rest will change point of impact at intermediate and longer distances.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #35

Quote:

Depends on your type of shooting, but for fast short distance shooting I'd say you are right. I've been shooting 200 to 400 yards more and more as I don't have the time to devote a 2-2.5 hour drive (one #$%@$#% way!!!) to BLM land to do that type of shooting. But a sling pulled in tight or putting a non FF guard on a rest will change point of impact at intermediate and longer distances.
I believe I brought that up earlier in this thread. However if I'm reaching out that far I'm finding a rock or something to rest my rifle on. The FF would still be of use here as you'd be resting it on something.

I'm more of a realist. I prefer to be set-up/ prepared for what may (however unlikely fingers crossed) happen in real life. As our rafting instructor kept saying, "that's reality."

Sucks about the range. We ended up not shooting here. Just to big of a PITA. Gorgeous state but BS gun laws.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #36

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

I believe I brought that up earlier in this thread. However if I'm reaching out that far I'm finding a rock or something to rest my rifle on. The FF would still be of use here as you'd be resting it on something.

I'm more of a realist. I prefer to be set-up/ prepared for what may (however unlikely fingers crossed) happen in real life. As our rafting instructor kept saying, "that's reality."

Sucks about the range. We ended up not shooting here. Just to big of a PITA. Gorgeous state but BS gun laws.
Just curious, what sort of optic do you run. ??

Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

Just curious, what sort of optic do you run. ??
I run a RDS on a few and an Eo XPS on another.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post

I'm really sorry to hear that. But I hope at least you got some QT with your buddy.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #39

Quote:

I'm really sorry to hear that. But I hope at least you got some QT with your buddy.
If you call almost dying white water rafting QT lol. It definitely was gut check time on the river Tuesday. They nicknamed my sister River Girl, she was the only one who managed to hold onto the raft. Nothing like almost drowning w/ people to bring you closer together . A pro photography got it all on film. We learned if your guide smells good be wary. Always go w/ the guide that you thought was just some homeless man hanging around. If the stink that means they haven't been in the water.