Wary of MOE. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wary of MOE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Mike I gotta call BS on this one , unless your removing the front iron sight then I will give ya that and say you are right as that thing does weigh a ton , but its going to be pretty hard pressed to say that any of the samson rails are lighter than a MOE in mid length or any length . I looked them all up just to put myself in check and low and behold I was right
Would you put a tube on an AR and keep the OE FSP?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #12

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Would you put a tube on an AR and keep the OE FSP?
Yes I would if thats what I wanted , if I was running a 7" HG on a carbine length I would put the FSP back on it , and now you dont even need to take the FSP off with the way some of these handguards are set up . My Troy isnt heavy but going from a carbine length handguard to a 15" handguard I sure noticed a difference even removing the FSP . For the money MOE stuff is pretty hard to beat

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-19-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Yes I would if thats what I wanted , if I was running a 7" HG on a carbine length I would put the FSP back on it , and now you dont even need to take the FSP off with the way some of these handguards are set up . My Troy isnt heavy but going from a carbine length handguard to a 15" handguard I sure noticed a difference even removing the FSP . For the money MOE stuff is pretty hard to beat
I like it as well. Check out tactical yellow visor. He actually weighed all those hand guards. I don't remember the outcome. All I know is when I went from a midlength MOE to an eleven inch Samson Evo (tube) it felt noticeably lighter. I sold it and now have a 13" Troy. I feel any tube shorter than 11" is a waste as it defeats the purpose of a tabular rail.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 117 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I like it as well. Check out tactical yellow visor. He actually weighed all those hand guards. I don't remember the outcome. All I know is when I went from a midlength MOE to an eleven inch Samson Evo (tube) it felt noticeably lighter. I sold it and now have a 13" Troy. I feel any tube shorter than 11" is a waste as it defeats the purpose of a tabular rail.
A free float tube of 4 inches serves the purpose of a free float tube. Less than 11inches may not meet your needs but it still serves its intended purpose. To free float the barrel and give you someplace to put your hand when shooting. Your comfort when shooting is a happy by product.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

All in know is MOE + d ring +end cap + fsb weighs more than a. 12" Samson evo + lo pro gas block + diamondhead front buis.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5983 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

My preference would be for a1 style triangle handguards but they dont come in a midlength size that ive ever found. For me the moe is as close to that perfect ergonomic feel of the a1 style as i can get.

If the moe and fsb and cap and delta ring do weigh a scootch more than certain other things, its a weight price im willing to pay for better ergonomics for my tastes

I would prefer a folding fsb but all of em are held by set screws. I dont feel comy with the clamp ons and i dont want a ff tube

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-20-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

What, in your opinion, is the purpose of a tubular rail. ? Just wondering.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

What, in your opinion, is the purpose of a tubular rail. ? Just wondering.
Proper/ more proficient support hand placement that translates into faster more accurate shooting. Plus overall weight savings especially over the barrel which increases balance which benefits weapons manipulation. All very important things in my opinion. The longer and lighter the better it appears. And in my experience it has proven true. Worst case scenario, the guy who gets rounds on target first wins.

The gamers are a great place to look.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I'm actually quite impressed with Midwest Industries SS gen2 rails. MI isn't usually know for great lw products but this one is quite impressive. The overall diameter is also a bit smaller than my Samson Evo/Rainer Arms rail.
I really like any and all of the Midwest Industries Handguards. They are impressively well made for the price, and very consistent. I know they are very popular, but I just can't get used to the look of the Mag-Pul MOE handguards. I think it's because they look almost identical to the plastic case my wife's electric kitchen knife came in.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #20

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I really like any and all of the Midwest Industries Handguards. They are impressively well made for the price, and very consistent. I know they are very popular, but I just can't get used to the look of the Mag-Pul MOE handguards. I think it's because they look almost identical to the plastic case my wife's electric kitchen knife came in.
LOL , never thought about that Bill you must have one very similar to ours , now that you mention it its similar shaped but a little bit bigger