Wary of MOE.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wary of MOE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Wary of MOE.

I'm building a designated hunting rifle in .300 blk and I'm wondering would MOE hand guards affect its accuracy since they aren't free floating. Anyone know?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

for hunting it doesnt matter. and either wa its only fractions of an inch at hunting ranges either way. you dont see any real benefit from free float tubes until you get way past any ethical hunting distance.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I agree with JonM, most free float rails that are installed aren't taken advantage of by the shooter. Either due to skill level or their intended use or even ammo type.

MOEs are an excellent low cost, low weight handguard.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Any quad rail that rivals the MOE guards weight benefit?. (or lack of weight)

Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Any quad rail that rivals the MOE guards weight benefit?. (or lack of weight)
I use one of these on one of my 300Blk hunting guns:http://www.shootertactical.com/UTG-PRO-Model-4-15-Carbine-Length-Symmetrical-Split-Slim-Rail-System---Black--MTU001S-.html

It's strong and lightweight and made in the USA now.

If you are going to be on foot doing a stalk quite a bit, going lightweight as you can with your rifle. If you'll be stand hunting, it won't matter a whole lot.

The last hunt I went on I took my heavier 300Blk figuring I would be in the stand most of the time. Turned out later that afternoon I was on foot stalking until dark and I wish I had my lighter rifle with me.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

not at the moe price point. just dont go cheap on ff tubes, cheap as in quality. rra, mi, dd, troy and a few others are excellent quad rails. i dont see the need for em on a hunting gun. you can add rail setions on moe guards for lights and such.

drop in tubes are just like the moe guards you dont mount sights or optics on them.

if your going to mount optics or sights on the forward rail your going to want a rail that attaches very solid and can be aligned with the upper receiver rail.

ive got a ff tube with halfquad rails on my 458 socom. carrying it sling it digs in the back. i havent humped it any great distance yet but i think i wouldnt like the sharp edges.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

People don't realize how heavy MOEs are. I went from a MOE to Samson. The rifle was noticably lighter w/ the Samson.

IWC makes mounts that do not require those little rail sections. Helps keep weight down and reduces points of failure.

If your using a sling the FF is a better choice when you start putting a good amount of pressure on the sling.

I'm a big fan of tubes like the Troys and Samsons.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm actually quite impressed with Midwest Industries SS gen2 rails. A little lighter and cheaper than Samsons and Troys. Uses a factory nut. Lots of extras included. But like most of these lightweight rails, they heat up quick, but also cool down pretty quick too. And they bolt on nice and tight. They also come with alot of extras, including a barrel nut, rail sections, bipod (swivel) stuff and qd rail section.

MI isn't usually know for great lw products but this one is quite impressive. The overall diameter is also a bit smaller than my Samson Evo/Rainer Arms rail. So if you want a thin, lightweight tube, I'd recommend it.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I'm actually quite impressed with Midwest Industries SS gen2 rails. A little lighter and cheaper than Samsons and Troys. Uses a factory nut. Lots of extras included. But like most of these lightweight rails, they heat up quick, but also cool down pretty quick too. And they bolt on nice and tight. They also come with alot of extras, including a barrel nut, rail sections, bipod (swivel) stuff and qd rail section.

MI isn't usually know for great lw products but this one is quite impressive. The overall diameter is also a bit smaller than my Samson Evo/Rainer Arms rail. So if you want a thin, lightweight tube, I'd recommend it.
Smaller diam. might be nice. I will say it's hard to believe they can be lighter than a Samson though. The included extras are nice. Don't they use the old Troy style mounting system? I have had a few Troys and never a problem but I hear others talking about the threads stripping. Like I said they have been GTG for me.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
People don't realize how heavy MOEs are. I went from a MOE to Samson. The rifle was noticably lighter w/ the Samson.

IWC makes mounts that do not require those little rail sections. Helps keep weight down and reduces points of failure.

If your using a sling the FF is a better choice when you start putting a good amount of pressure on the sling.

I'm a big fan of tubes like the Troys and Samsons.
Mike I gotta call BS on this one , unless your removing the front iron sight then I will give ya that and say you are right as that thing does weigh a ton , but its going to be pretty hard pressed to say that any of the samson rails are lighter than a MOE in mid length or any length . I looked them all up just to put myself in check and low and behold I was right