Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Wary of MOE. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/wary-moe-64795/)

broke-again124 05-19-2012 02:30 PM

Wary of MOE.
 
I'm building a designated hunting rifle in .300 blk and I'm wondering would MOE hand guards affect its accuracy since they aren't free floating. Anyone know?

JonM 05-19-2012 02:41 PM

for hunting it doesnt matter. and either wa its only fractions of an inch at hunting ranges either way. you dont see any real benefit from free float tubes until you get way past any ethical hunting distance.

Quentin 05-19-2012 04:42 PM

I agree with JonM, most free float rails that are installed aren't taken advantage of by the shooter. Either due to skill level or their intended use or even ammo type.

MOEs are an excellent low cost, low weight handguard.

broke-again124 05-19-2012 05:40 PM

Any quad rail that rivals the MOE guards weight benefit?. (or lack of weight)

Car54 05-19-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broke-again124 (Post 807792)
Any quad rail that rivals the MOE guards weight benefit?. (or lack of weight)

I use one of these on one of my 300Blk hunting guns:http://www.shootertactical.com/UTG-PRO-Model-4-15-Carbine-Length-Symmetrical-Split-Slim-Rail-System---Black--MTU001S-.html

It's strong and lightweight and made in the USA now.

If you are going to be on foot doing a stalk quite a bit, going lightweight as you can with your rifle. If you'll be stand hunting, it won't matter a whole lot.

The last hunt I went on I took my heavier 300Blk figuring I would be in the stand most of the time. Turned out later that afternoon I was on foot stalking until dark and I wish I had my lighter rifle with me.

JonM 05-19-2012 06:01 PM

not at the moe price point. just dont go cheap on ff tubes, cheap as in quality. rra, mi, dd, troy and a few others are excellent quad rails. i dont see the need for em on a hunting gun. you can add rail setions on moe guards for lights and such.

drop in tubes are just like the moe guards you dont mount sights or optics on them.

if your going to mount optics or sights on the forward rail your going to want a rail that attaches very solid and can be aligned with the upper receiver rail.

ive got a ff tube with halfquad rails on my 458 socom. carrying it sling it digs in the back. i havent humped it any great distance yet but i think i wouldnt like the sharp edges.

MikeJK 05-19-2012 07:52 PM

People don't realize how heavy MOEs are. I went from a MOE to Samson. The rifle was noticably lighter w/ the Samson.

IWC makes mounts that do not require those little rail sections. Helps keep weight down and reduces points of failure.

If your using a sling the FF is a better choice when you start putting a good amount of pressure on the sling.

I'm a big fan of tubes like the Troys and Samsons.

AgentTikki 05-19-2012 08:03 PM

I'm actually quite impressed with Midwest Industries SS gen2 rails. A little lighter and cheaper than Samsons and Troys. Uses a factory nut. Lots of extras included. But like most of these lightweight rails, they heat up quick, but also cool down pretty quick too. And they bolt on nice and tight. They also come with alot of extras, including a barrel nut, rail sections, bipod (swivel) stuff and qd rail section.

MI isn't usually know for great lw products but this one is quite impressive. The overall diameter is also a bit smaller than my Samson Evo/Rainer Arms rail. So if you want a thin, lightweight tube, I'd recommend it.

MikeJK 05-19-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 807885)
I'm actually quite impressed with Midwest Industries SS gen2 rails. A little lighter and cheaper than Samsons and Troys. Uses a factory nut. Lots of extras included. But like most of these lightweight rails, they heat up quick, but also cool down pretty quick too. And they bolt on nice and tight. They also come with alot of extras, including a barrel nut, rail sections, bipod (swivel) stuff and qd rail section.

MI isn't usually know for great lw products but this one is quite impressive. The overall diameter is also a bit smaller than my Samson Evo/Rainer Arms rail. So if you want a thin, lightweight tube, I'd recommend it.

Smaller diam. might be nice. I will say it's hard to believe they can be lighter than a Samson though. The included extras are nice. Don't they use the old Troy style mounting system? I have had a few Troys and never a problem but I hear others talking about the threads stripping. Like I said they have been GTG for me.

purehavoc 05-19-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 807879)
People don't realize how heavy MOEs are. I went from a MOE to Samson. The rifle was noticably lighter w/ the Samson.

IWC makes mounts that do not require those little rail sections. Helps keep weight down and reduces points of failure.

If your using a sling the FF is a better choice when you start putting a good amount of pressure on the sling.

I'm a big fan of tubes like the Troys and Samsons.

Mike I gotta call BS on this one , unless your removing the front iron sight then I will give ya that and say you are right as that thing does weigh a ton , but its going to be pretty hard pressed to say that any of the samson rails are lighter than a MOE in mid length or any length . I looked them all up just to put myself in check and low and behold I was right


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.