WARNING-PMAG problem

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > WARNING-PMAG problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default WARNING-PMAG problem

I have discovered a problem with the PMAGs. A friend shoots carbine matches. He uses PMAGs for these matches and for duty carry. at a recent match he experienced a nasty type 3 stoppage that was traced to the magazine. The mag had been loaded via stripper clips with M-193 Ball. On the 2nd to the last round, FTF. As the picture shows the last round (first round into the mag, with its nose on the wrong side of the center rib. This caused the top round to be out of alignment enough to cause the FTF.

When loading from a stripper clip the noses get pushed around at random angles. The first round in the mag obviously started on one side of the center rib but the follower pushed the body to the other side. The center rib prevented the round from correcting its self in the mag body. A GI mag does not have this center rib so the rounds will be corrected by the follower.

The lesson is (IMHO) do not load PMAGs with stripper clips, Using a LULA or loading one round at a time should not cause this problem.

pmag-002.jpg  

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Good to know .... thanks.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #3

A great observation and a good amount of investigating here to prove the point. Good stuff!

This might save someone some trouble at the range, or, you never know, a life out on the street where it really counts.

Thumbs up.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. I was about to order some stripper clips. Not now!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Again, we see the foibles of plastic used in firearms.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a good number of the PMAGS. My first attempt at loading with the stripper clips seemed very awkward as the stripper clip guide just did not fit cleanly and securely on the magazines. Fortunately, I also have a LULA and I use it exclusively when loading the PMAGS.

TXnorton

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #7

Robocop... can I ask you a dumb question, not directly related to your post?

When looking at the .223 rounds in that magazine, it appears that they have some superfucial contamination (rust?) and some dents and scratches. It may just be the photo, but it sure looks like you've got some wear and tear on that ammo...

What is the condition is the ammunition and what kind of handling/storage caused this condition?

--Bama

Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagunowner View Post

When looking at the .223 rounds in that magazine, it appears that they have some superfucial contamination (rust?) and some dents and scratches. It may just be the photo, but it sure looks like you've got some wear and tear on that ammo...

What is the condition is the ammunition and what kind of handling/storage caused this condition?

--Bama
I would suggest that he loads his own, but then I looked at the pic again and if I had brass that nasty it would go in the scrap pile.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I think this is user error...my rounds go in just fine.

But it's still a helpful hint and I'll probably go back to loading one at a time now.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagunowner View Post

--Bama
The top round has a slight tarnished/discolored spot near the mouth. This is a normal storage/handling blemish and does not effect the performance. The dents/gouges are from the bolt riding against that round when the upward pressure became insufficient to put the round in line to feed. Even nasty looking dings like these were ironed out when fired. These would not cause major problems.

This is new M-193 ball ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball