Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wanting to buy an AR platformed Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Or you could just go with the M107 Barrett . Sericously, the 308 should take care of all of your hunting needs.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #12

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I would suggest the 450 Bushmaster out to 300 yards or so. It's an amazingly accurate round and will kill anything that walks with the proper bullet. 5-600 yards is extremely far for any rifle. Have you actually practiced shooting that far? It's one thing to shoot targets at that range but shooting at an animal that far away without being sure of a mortal hit is irresponsible. There are guys who can do it but they are few and far between. I don't think any rifle in an AR platform is appropriate including the 308. It may be accurate enough but I don't think it has the power for elk at 600 yards.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

@jeep. I was introduced to long range shooting/hunting at a young age. I have harvested a mule deer at just shy of 600yds, haven't taken any shots at an animal any further and really nothing within 150 of that. I am confident in my marksmanship but agree that no shot should be taken on an animal unless you are sure of a clean ethical kill at 50 yds or 1000yds. My interest in the AR is mainly for hunting and I would want to be able to reach out if needed, but target shooting is a hobby of mine I do often. So of course that is where I would push the limits before I'd ever consider taking a shot at an animal. I had the same concern about the AR platform being able to live up to my expectations or wants. That being said I would still be interested in an AR regardless of its abilities to take a long range kill shot on big game. Just getting opinions and trying to see my options in larger caliber platforms with big game hunting in mind, the .223 or 5.56 isn't near where I would be wanting, and really not a big fan of the .308 for no particular reason just not a caliber I have interest in.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #14

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Glad to hear you are not one of those "I read about shooting game at 600 yards so I can do it too" kind of guys. They are unfortunately out there.
I love the 450 Bushmaster cartridge. There are guys doing amazing things with it and it's the most accurate cartridge I've ever shot. It's mundane for me (an average shot) to shoot ragged one hole targets at 100 yards without any problem at all. As for power, there's a few Alaskans who have dumped big brown bears with one shot with the 450. Go to http://www.450bushmaster.net for tons of info on it. The father of the "Thumper" posts there regularly under the name "Wildcatter".
Good luck with your search.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #15

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I would suggest the 450 Bushmaster out to 300 yards or so. It's an amazingly accurate round and will kill anything that walks with the proper bullet. 5-600 yards is extremely far for any rifle. Have you actually practiced shooting that far? It's one thing to shoot targets at that range but shooting at an animal that far away without being sure of a mortal hit is irresponsible. There are guys who can do it but they are few and far between. I don't think any rifle in an AR platform is appropriate including the 308. It may be accurate enough but I don't think it has the power for elk at 600 yards.
Hell, in my condition I am lucky to get 150 yards (or is it feet?) for a shot. Seriously, a large pistol caliber AR should do the trick. A few in my neck of the woods use a .40 S&W round. I was just trying to get the OP not to use the .223. Not good for us if Bambi wanders off and dies of gangren after you shoot him. A 308 is sufficient in my range.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

@jeep Yes unfortunately, there are people who believe that since they read something or saw a video on you tube that, they can make those shots "Same Day Snipers" is the name we've adopted for such people. I am no expert and don't claim to be on long range shooting but Ive fired 1000's if not 10,000's of rounds in various conditions, angles, cold bore, hot bore, wind, etc I need to stop, ha obviously I feel strongly on the subject or subject of all around irresponsible hunters. I'm all for people getting into long range shooting, but hunting is something that comes after practice and practice, not after you read an article or see a video clip.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 AM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nemo makes a .300 win mag Ar. It is not inexpensive by any means.
Then there's the equally affordable Noreen Bad News that can be ordered in 300 win mag.

Actually both can be had in 300 win mag or 338 lapua.

Mind you, I'm not recommending either just putting it out there fyi.

If going for long range shooting Id look into 6.5 grendel if you haven't heard of it. The Ar 10/308 platform is great for bigger cartridges but is a more expensive platform.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 08-31-2012 at 03:22 AM.