Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Wanting to buy an AR platformed Hunting Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/wanting-buy-ar-platformed-hunting-rifle-71416/)

BigGameNAmmo 08-30-2012 03:58 AM

Wanting to buy an AR platformed Hunting Rifle

I've been doing my research on different AR platformed hunting rifles. I am custom to a 7mm Rem mag, 270 Win, and even have a 7mm-08. So basically just wondering if anyone would recommend a caliber with enough knock down power to take down big game (deer, elk, eventually antelope) and flat shooting enough to reach out to 5-600yrds without sacrificing knock down power. Am I expecting too much in the AR line of hunting rifles? Rock River Arms and even La Rue have appealed to me most, but before I spend 2-4k on one I just would like some other advice/opinions. Are there cheaper accurate large caliber ARs out there that I should look at?

fsted2a 08-30-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGameNAmmo (Post 921012)
I've been doing my research on different AR platformed hunting rifles. I am custom to a 7mm Rem mag, 270 Win, and even have a 7mm-08. So basically just wondering if anyone would recommend a caliber with enough knock down power to take down big game (deer, elk, eventually antelope) and flat shooting enough to reach out to 5-600yrds without sacrificing knock down power. Am I expecting too much in the AR line of hunting rifles? Rock River Arms and even La Rue have appealed to me most, but before I spend 2-4k on one I just would like some other advice/opinions. Are there cheaper accurate large caliber ARs out there that I should look at?

Cheaper, or accurate? Which one? My suggestion is an AR 10 variant. Personnaly, I would go with Armalite.

ineverFTF 08-30-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a
Cheaper, or accurate? Which one? My suggestion is an AR 10 variant. Personnaly, I would go with Armalite.

I concur, AR-10 in 308 is your best bet. Armalite, rock river, colt might even have one, put good optics on any one of these and you're good to go.

treehugger49 08-30-2012 12:37 PM

I think any caliber based on the AR-15 platform will not perform adequately on heavier game like elk, particularly at the longer distances you anticipate encountering.

As fsted2a said, you need to evaluate the caliber choices on the AR-10 platform.

ineverFTF 08-30-2012 12:38 PM

Although if you are hunting elk with a 308 make sure you have a very hot load if you're gun can handle it. Heavy bullet with slow expansion to let it get deep into the thicker skinned elk before it expands. I wouldn't recommend any shot over 250 for elk with a 308 and in any situation your shot must be perfect.

ineverFTF 08-30-2012 12:44 PM

The 458. Socom would be ok for elk but only for 100-150 yards before it loses to much energy. In that case you are also spending alot on decent ammo, even if you reload.

I know it wasnt your original want/need, but have you considered anything in 7.62x54? You can buy cheap bulk ammo for fun, and reload or buy the good stuff for hunting, and it will easily take an elk at 500 yards granted you can make the shot.

jjfuller1 08-30-2012 01:02 PM

there is a 7mm mag upper reciever for the AR platform. this is the way i would go especially if you are already used to this caliber. im not positive, but i believe it was RRA that makes it too. its going to probly be 1k just for the upper so for a whole rifle i would say at least 1500 -1600

AgentTikki 08-30-2012 02:31 PM

There's always an AR in 338 lapua or 300 win mag.......

BigGameNAmmo 08-30-2012 03:31 PM

@Jjfuller That would be ideal, I will definitely be looking into going that route.
@AgentTikki I like the 338 Lapua but all I've found have been expensive suggestions? And where have you seen a 300 chambered AR? I have not seen that.

jjfuller1 08-30-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGameNAmmo (Post 921421)
@Jjfuller That would be ideal, I will definitely be looking into going that route.
@AgentTikki I like the 338 Lapua but all I've found have been expensive suggestions? And where have you seen a 300 chambered AR? I have not seen that.

my apologies, its a 7mm-08.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 529