Wanting to build my first AR!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Wanting to build my first AR!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wanting to build my first AR!

So I made a post yesterday about buying an affordable AR, but after much deliberation I have decided to take a shot and build my own, start a new hobby. However I have no knowledge of building one.

Could someone please point me in the right direction? Tell me what terms and whatnot I need to know? What tools I need to buy? What kind of permits or licenses I need to get (or if I even need to, I live in Idaho) and how to go about getting those? Any help appreciated! Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well first I'd get familar with all the parts in the AR and how it works. There are a few stickies of other members building ARs you could read through those and ask any questions if you have some

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 11-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18 View Post
Well first I'd get familar with all the parts in the AR and how it works. There are a few stickies of other members building ARs you could read through those
That's great advice right there. Read the stickies ... then read em' again. Then put together your own parts list and submit it, folks here will be happy to help you iron it out.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #4

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtRIPPA View Post
... What kind of permits or licenses I need to get (or if I even need to, I live in Idaho) and how to go about getting those? Any help appreciated! Thanks
I replied to that in your other thread Rip.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As did I.

Perfect for what you're looking for.
Palmetto State Armory 16'' Hammer-Forged, Mid-Length, Rifle Kit

Old 11-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The OP is exploring the possibility of building his own. He may have more questions, but he is asking the right ones back channel and is doing a lot of reading on his own.

He may need more guidance, but he definitely isn't lacking interest or effort.

Patience brothers, we may have a new builder on our hands.

JD

Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So the first thing you should do is go down to your local gun store to see if they have AR-15 stripped lowers in-stock for delivery or can order you one fairly quick. The thing to look for is a forged aluminum, mil-spec. lower in the caliber of your choice (5.56 or Multi?). The brand is more or less up to you based on what company roll-mark you like. The parts that go into it are more important than the alum. shell that holds them.

The BATF considers this serial numbered item to be the "Firearm" so you will need a federally licensed gun dealer to to do the deal for you. Obtaining the AR lower for you is the only part that you'll need the services of a gun dealer for.

It comes home looking like this:

Alternatively, you can order a lower on-line from a vendor and have your local gun dealer arrange for delivery to his location so he can do the paperwork and do the transfer to you. He will charge a fee for this from $20 to $50 depending on your location & relationship with him. Sometimes this type of purchase will work out in your favor financially, sometimes not.

Next you'll need to get a Lower Parts Kit (LPK):

You can order these on-line anywhere without any problem No license or shipping restriction required.

Installing the lower parts in AR lower is fairly simple and only requires a few special tools to complete like a lower vice block and a castle nut wrench for the buttstock. There are ample instruction and videos for doing this procedure on this site and on many others. I'm assuming you already have hammers, punches and needle-nosed pliers and such.

You'll also need to pickout and order a buttstock setup you like and order it too. The LPK comes with a standard pistol grip, but you may want a custom one too.

When you're done assembling a your AR lower it'll look something like this:

After the AR lower assembly you'll need to pick-out an AR upper assembly that will suit your needs and order it locally or on-line. There are many different brands and types, so I can't offer much help there. Since this is your first AR, I suggest you get a complete upper. It doesn't take any special tools for this and it will probably workout much better for you to do it like this. The thing to watch for is that it should come with a complete bolt assembly and charging handle to be considered complete.

Typical upper:

Mating the upper to the lower takes less than a minute and then you'll have a functional AR. Most uppers and lowers will fit together with no problems. Iron sights and / or optics will also be needed to properly aim your new AR. Many, many options there to choose from.

By following these steps you'll end up with the complete AR package.

Hope this will help you on your AR quest.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-11-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #8

Yes have faith everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading and I've been watching a lot of videos, I am definitely going to build vs. buying, can't wait for taxes so I can start building this bad boy! I have even been making mock up rifles, on paper, based on what I've read. As soon as I'm ready I will post everything and you guys can give me your input and sage advise. And thanks a lot snakedriver that's some great info, definitely what I needed

Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #9

And thanks Mjkeat, that's a sweet looking kit, I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again everyone.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The thing with AR's is there are over 140 companies that offer AR-15's and parts for AR-15 assemblies. We get a lot of "Which One is Best" threads and it's kind of like saying which car is "Best". Everyone you ask will have their own opinion.

Establish a budget, determine how you want to use your AR (Hunting, Plinking, Home Defense, General SHTF and Etc.) and then do your own research on the varous brands that appeal to you based on your established criteria.

It can be an ejoyable hobby, I hope you will have a good time with it.