Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Want a new 5.56/.223 for under $1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want a new 5.56/.223 for under $1000

Own a few firearms, but have always wanted an AR platform, my budget (to be financially responsible), would be $900 before taxes. I am only able to get out to the range bi-monthly, and would be using it mostly for paper-punching, but would also prefer it be reliable as a home-defense option.

I would also prefer my newest tool to accept both 5.56 and .223. I am okay with buying aftermarket flip-up sights, if not included, (with an optic as a possibility down the road).

Any input would be greatly appreciated (I know this is a widely debated topic, so please, no fighting...I'm just just seeking opinions and information through the most reliable forum available).

Thanks! (in advance)

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhvy View Post
Own a few firearms, but have always wanted an AR platform, my budget (to be financially responsible), would be $900 before taxes. I am only able to get out to the range bi-monthly, and would be using it mostly for paper-punching, but would also prefer it be reliable as a home-defense option.

I would also prefer my newest tool to accept both 5.56 and .223. I am okay with buying aftermarket flip-up sights, if not included, (with an optic as a possibility down the road).

Any input would be greatly appreciated (I know this is a widely debated topic, so please, no fighting...I'm just just seeking opinions and information through the most reliable forum available).

Thanks! (in advance)

I'm sure many here will chime in and say the same thing, Try Palmetto State Armory. You can put together a quality rifle with optics for well under 1000 these days and PSA has awesome quality for the money.
If you check there daily deals you can piece together a nice rifle easily. They have deals on complete rifles as well. Look for deals on complete lowers and complete uppers.

Another good one is Rock River Arms. They are quality and start at about $1000 and go up from there.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Last edited by ccase39; 03-16-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #3

Liked 621 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 1593

Well, if you are not afraid of tinkering I suggest building one. You can get WAY more for your buck by building. Refer to this ( http://palmettostatearmory.com ) website for all your building needs.
Building an AR is not as massive an undertaking as it sounds, and there are many here that will give you all the tips needed.

Buying locally:
If you do not want to build, there are a few good sub 1k guns out there. IMO, Windham Weaponry happens to be one of the better values on the market. A standard WW rifle with iron sights and an M4 barrel should be $750-$850 give or take.

The optics ready M&P15 from Smith&Wesson is also a good choice.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys, I don't to build my first AR, though I know I'll get the fever down the road. Also curious about free-floated barrels, but think that may push me out of my price point. Or is there an affordable aftermarket option for that?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #5

Liked 621 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 1593

Quote:
Originally Posted by budhvy View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, I don't to build my first AR, though I know I'll get the fever down the road. Also curious about free-floated barrels, but think that may push me out of my price point. Or is there an affordable aftermarket option for that?

I prefer FF barrels on my builds, but in a 100yd-200yd gun it's really not necessary. The accuracy difference isn't prominently seen until 250yds and beyond. Just my experience. However, there are more rail options available with a FF barrel.

Most guns that come with a FF barrel will put you over $1k.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Want a new 5.56/.223 for under $1000

If you don't want to build I still suggest buying a complete upper and complete lower from PSA. You can still get a hell of a deal without having to build. I got a complete premium upper with a nice Kmod free float rail for 400. Paired with one of their lowers would still put u way under 1000. No building necessary.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

Liked 63 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Picked up an Olympic Arms in 5.56 at my local LGS for about $785 out the door. No sights, but the gas block is the same height as the receiver which makes BUS easier in my opinion. Don't have to worry about finding dual sights. Have another $90 into my optics. Installed an cheap Tasco 3-9X40 scope with the P-Series mount rings. The thing I liked about buying local is I have it my hands now.

Slick Guns is a good website to watch for deals. When it comes down to it there is two major assy's to the AR platform. A completed lower receiver and a completed upper receiver. I included the charging handle and the bolt carrier group in the completed upper. Anyway these two "major" assy's can be purchased separate and two pins and it is done. The options doing this is you can go cheap on one and spend a little more on the other.

PSA also is the sole distributor for PTAC. I'm not sure if this is a less expensive line of the PSA name or if they are just distributing it for an up and coming company. I have seen some good about the PTAC.

If you do decide to buy online expect a longer weight. Some places are still slightly behind playing catch up according to a lot of the forums I have visited. Also the barrel assy can be shipped to your address without going through a FFL. The lower does have to go through a FFL.

Hope this helps, from a new AR owner. Just over a month.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1679 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 858

The new Mossberg (built, we are told, by Stag Arms) seems like a great deal for $700. It has rail mounted, removable "full size" iron sights. I have not shot it, but inspected one just yesterday at a major gun show (and my buddy bought it).

If you don't care to have the forward-assist and the dust cover (both redundant in a sports/HD rifle) you can have a S&W M&P-15 Sport for $600. I owned one, it was absolutely reliable, and as accurate as any.

This is a great time to purchase an AR. It is a buyer's market that few of us during the Winter of Doom of 2012 could anticipate. Buy soon.

Last edited by Mercator; 03-16-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

budhvy, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have but I can help you out with exactly what you want and need and within your budget. I can maximize your dollar and get you the most for what you want to spend.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Triumphman Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

No more than the OP intends to use the rife I would just get a DPMS or an Olympic. Both rifles are more accurate than 99% of shooters. Hell, my wife shoots her Hi Point more than the OP is saying he will use the rifle.

Don't buy into all the crap about needing optics for a AR 15. Get a good set of iron sights and learn to use them.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Argyle_Armoring Likes This