Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > want to build my first or buy my first AR

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Severna park,Maryland
Posts: 264
Likes Given: 1

Default want to build my first or buy my first AR

what are the positives and negatives of building your own?
is it more cost effective to build your own?
what are some good lower receivers and what ones should i stay away from?
what parts company make the best parts?
thank you in advance

__________________
chevyforlife1972nova is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
what are the positives and negatives of building your own?
is it more cost effective to build your own?
what are some good lower receivers and what ones should i stay away from?
what parts company make the best parts?
thank you in advance
Build pros:
Great learning experience
If anything goes wrong, you're more familiar with the inner workings of your weapon, and can better identify your problem,
If/when something needs top be fixed or replaced, you have already taught yourself how.
Saves money.

Build cons:






Lower Recievers: I'm told they're all pretty much the same as long as they're forged aluminum, not indo/chinese pot metal. Considering what they do, I'm inclined to believe this. Your lower pretty much just provides scaffolding for all the crap that really matters.
__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Severna park,Maryland
Posts: 264
Likes Given: 1

Default

very true sir thank you

__________________
chevyforlife1972nova is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Build pros:
Great learning experience
If anything goes wrong, you're more familiar with the inner workings of your weapon, and can better identify your problem,
If/when something needs top be fixed or replaced, you have already taught yourself how.
Saves money.

Build cons:






Lower Recievers: I'm told they're all pretty much the same as long as they're forged aluminum, not indo/chinese pot metal. Considering what they do, I'm inclined to believe this. Your lower pretty much just provides scaffolding for all the crap that really matters.
Great advise. After building one I have a much better understanding of my ARs. Theres a sense of pride and its fun.
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Check out the Stickies at the top of this section. This has come up about a thousand times and after weighing the options, unless a screaming deal can be had, building your own gives you much more knowledge, gets you better parts for about the same cash and will quickly become addicting.

I don't think anyone, yet, has built one and came back and said it was the worst idea they ever had.

Build one. You will be the envy of your friends, women will swoon and you will immediately become famous.

JD

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Build one. You will be the envy of your friends, women will swoon and you will immediately become famous.

JD
....And get a great t-shirt!



NOTE: (T-shirt is the sole responsibility of the builder to purchase, forum only suggests the idea.)


Jack
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
diggsbakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pueblo,Colorado
Posts: 1,680
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I just put one together and it was fun and great experience. Definitely gonna have another soon.

__________________
diggsbakes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,475
Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
... I don't think anyone, yet, has built one and came back and said it was the worst idea they ever had.

Build one. You will be the envy of your friends, women will swoon and you will immediately become famous.

JD
Now that would be a great poll question! But the results surely would be 90%+ positive. After reading a few AR sites for a year I can't remember anyone who was sorry they built an AR. Maybe they wished they'd done things differently and researched more before buying parts but not sorry they chose to build over buying a complete rifle.
__________________
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

I'm so glad you are considering building it. I'm one of the recent ones who built. My total was about $850.

All the reasons above are valid. I just put my first 30 rounds through it, came home and cleaned it thoroughly. Since I put it all together myself, I knew exactly what everything was for and I was able to just put a pile of parts...clean...oil...move over to the other side of the table.

And I knew exactly how to put it back together. If I'd bought it, I'm not sure I could have done that.

__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,475
Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Default

Good to hear your build just passed its first range test, Chris! Great job!

__________________
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
First AR build General_lee DIY Projects 6 02-18-2013 12:57 AM
AR Build ktmboyz AR-15 Discussion 12 11-25-2009 11:36 PM
VZ-24 build JerseyJohn Gunsmithing Forum 4 11-10-2009 12:36 PM
9mm AK build kylie AK & SKS Discussion 3 05-21-2007 02:54 PM