Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   want to build my first or buy my first AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/want-build-my-first-buy-my-first-ar-29665/)

chevyforlife1972nova 07-25-2010 06:21 AM

want to build my first or buy my first AR

what are the positives and negatives of building your own?
is it more cost effective to build your own?
what are some good lower receivers and what ones should i stay away from?
what parts company make the best parts?
thank you in advance

TheDaggle 07-25-2010 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova (Post 319996)
what are the positives and negatives of building your own?
is it more cost effective to build your own?
what are some good lower receivers and what ones should i stay away from?
what parts company make the best parts?
thank you in advance

Build pros:
Great learning experience
If anything goes wrong, you're more familiar with the inner workings of your weapon, and can better identify your problem,
If/when something needs top be fixed or replaced, you have already taught yourself how.
Saves money.

Build cons:

Lower Recievers: I'm told they're all pretty much the same as long as they're forged aluminum, not indo/chinese pot metal. Considering what they do, I'm inclined to believe this. Your lower pretty much just provides scaffolding for all the crap that really matters.

chevyforlife1972nova 07-25-2010 07:07 AM

very true sir thank you

mjkeat 07-25-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaggle (Post 320002)
Build pros:
Great learning experience
If anything goes wrong, you're more familiar with the inner workings of your weapon, and can better identify your problem,
If/when something needs top be fixed or replaced, you have already taught yourself how.
Saves money.

Build cons:

Lower Recievers: I'm told they're all pretty much the same as long as they're forged aluminum, not indo/chinese pot metal. Considering what they do, I'm inclined to believe this. Your lower pretty much just provides scaffolding for all the crap that really matters.

Great advise. After building one I have a much better understanding of my ARs. Theres a sense of pride and its fun.

Dillinger 07-25-2010 05:15 PM

Check out the Stickies at the top of this section. This has come up about a thousand times and after weighing the options, unless a screaming deal can be had, building your own gives you much more knowledge, gets you better parts for about the same cash and will quickly become addicting.

I don't think anyone, yet, has built one and came back and said it was the worst idea they ever had. :cool:

Build one. You will be the envy of your friends, women will swoon and you will immediately become famous. :D

JD

IGETEVEN 07-25-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 320102)
Build one. You will be the envy of your friends, women will swoon and you will immediately become famous. :D

JD

....And get a great t-shirt! :D

http://images2.cpcache.com/product/8...olor-Black.jpg

NOTE: (T-shirt is the sole responsibility of the builder to purchase, forum only suggests the idea.)

Jack

diggsbakes 07-25-2010 11:09 PM

I just put one together and it was fun and great experience. Definitely gonna have another soon.

Quentin 07-26-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 320102)
... I don't think anyone, yet, has built one and came back and said it was the worst idea they ever had. :cool:

JD

Now that would be a great poll question! But the results surely would be 90%+ positive. After reading a few AR sites for a year I can't remember anyone who was sorry they built an AR. Maybe they wished they'd done things differently and researched more before buying parts but not sorry they chose to build over buying a complete rifle.

CHLChris 07-26-2010 02:10 AM

I'm so glad you are considering building it. I'm one of the recent ones who built. My total was about $850.

All the reasons above are valid. I just put my first 30 rounds through it, came home and cleaned it thoroughly. Since I put it all together myself, I knew exactly what everything was for and I was able to just put a pile of parts...clean...oil...move over to the other side of the table.

And I knew exactly how to put it back together. If I'd bought it, I'm not sure I could have done that.

Quentin 07-26-2010 07:05 PM

Good to hear your build just passed its first range test, Chris! Great job!