wal-mart AR is interesting to me - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > wal-mart AR is interesting to me

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Exactly. Personally, I have never seen people get so caught up in this type of total nonsense. It makes the Ford / Chevy / Dodge argument pale in comparison. And all of it built without any foundation or documented fact.
I posted this earlier. You must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Now, I'm not saying that all AR-15 manufacturers make all their components, but I'm not saying that all of them buy from the same company, nor that they buy the same parts from said company.

I've looked at 4 manufacturers websites, for 4 comparable rifle, all roughly within the same price range, to see what specs they list for their rifles.

Spike's Tactical

DPMS

Rock River Arms

Bushmaster

What you will notice from these links, is that RRA and Bushy barely list any of the specs for their rifles. DPMS lists some things, but not everything. Spike's on the other hand, lists nearly everything. All the materials, Q&A processes, coatings, all the way down to little things like the coating on the firing pin retaining pin.

Now, if all of these companies do use the same parts and processes, why do the others not show it? If Company A's parts are as good as Company B's, then Company B should show specs like Company A does.

What I find the most humorous, is lots of guys talk about how most people can't afford this gun or that gun, can't afford a gun with this part or that coating, but guess what? The Spike's, which shows ALL the specs, and in my opinion is a higher quality rifle, is the cheapest of all 4, and comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Now that is building a product you're proud of and standing behind it.

If DPMS, Bushmaster and RRAs rifles have a BCG that is made from the same steel, has the same coating and went through the same testing a QA, then why don't they show it to their customers? Spike's does. If the barrel has the same MPI and HPT done to each barrel, not just batch tested, then why don't they show it? Spike's Does. Is their front sight base designed to be used with a flattop upper? I don't know because they don't tell you. Spike's does.

See what I'm getting at here? Spike's is my manufacturer of choice. When I buy a Spike's rifle, I know EXACTLY what I'm getting. I know the quality checks that went into it. I know all the testing processes that were done to the various parts. I know what type of fasteners were used to secure the gas key. I know the coatings on various parts of the rifle. And to top it all off, I'm paying less for a rifle with full disclosure on the parts and processes used than I would if I bought one of the other company's rifles built with mostly mystery parts.

Spike's isn't the only manufacturer that does this. Most of the other high end manufacturers do the same thing. I'm pressed for time or I would've posted links to them as well.

You can say "parts are parts are parts are parts" all you want. But when I want to know what parts I've got, the coatings on them and the tests they went through, I need only look on my rifle's manufacturers website. Those of you with a DPMS, Bushmaster or RRA, well, you guys just keep saying to yourself "parts are parts".

-Fred
If they're all the same, then why don't they all release specs for their rifles?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #192
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

this done. its gone on far too long by any standard. getting into arguments over this stuff is ridiculous and takes away from the info that the OP needed to make a good decision.

OP if you didnt get the answer you needed please repost. my apologies for those that sidetracked your thread into silly land

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Closed Thread