Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > wal-mart AR is interesting to me

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2646 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 1667

Default wal-mart AR is interesting to me

because of the cheap price tag!

seriously, i have never been super interested in AR's before (black & tactical not really my style).....combine that with the fact that 3-5 years ago they couldn't really be had for less than about a grand, and that has been my reasons for avoiding the platform.

BUT.......just saw a DPMS sportical 16" at wally world for $587! now i'm begining to get interested

all i know about AR's is how to shoot them. a buddy of mine lets me shoot his bushmaster fairly regularly & i do think it is a lot of fun.

i do know DPMS is considered a lower quality AR. are they even worth having or junk? tell me some pros and cons please. I understand it won't have the high level of accuarcy that Ar's with better barrels would have, but i assume it would be at least as accuarate as my mini (1-2" groups)? any quality or reliability concerns?

i would really like to hear from DPMS owners if possible.

thanks for any info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

IMO for the money the S&W Sport would be a better choice.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I have a DPMS AR ... an LR308B to be precise, and I would not classify it as lower quality or junk. It shoots sub MOA with factory ammo at 100yds and if I had the glass for it that I want I am sure I could get the same at 200, 300, possibly 400yds. The great thing about AR's is the parts are interchangeable (AR15's-Ar15's, not Ar15's-AR10's) so if you feel that a certain part in your rifle is not up to par, change it out for a better quality part There have bee many members here who with little to no experience, myself included, who have sourced out and built there own AR's. Each and every one of them have assembled excellent rifles with excellent results.

As for a rifle from Wally World ... you get what you pay for. I for one have decided to stop shopping there, even if it means costing me more, because they provide cheap inferior products ... all of them. I would rather support local businesses or US based businesses that do as little dealing, none if possible, with manufactures/sources outside the US.

My advice, build your own. It may end up costing you more (not by much though), but you will have intimate knowledge of how it is assembled and how it will perform.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

I own a DPMS carbine. I am not into three gun or other competition. My DPMS runs steel case ammo with out problems and shoots as good as I do. It does everything I need.

However, I plan to build an AR 15 upper and plan to use Palmetto State parts. Just need a barrel, bolt carrier group and gas tube.

IMHO, buying a DPMS is like buying a Mossberg shotgun. There are brands that cost more and they are worth the cost. But you can successfully bag a limit of dove, duck, pheasant, etc. with a Mossberg. You can also shoot coyotes, varmints and targets with a DPMS. My buddy donated a tasty young whitetail to my freezer he took with his DPMS a couple of years ago.

Get the best you can afford.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
IMO for the money the S&W Sport would be a better choice.
sounds good. tell me why. what is the $ difference?

thanks

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I have a DPMS AR ... an LR308B to be precise, and I would not classify it as lower quality or junk. It shoots sub MOA with factory ammo at 100yds and if I had the glass for it that I want I am sure I could get the same at 200, 300, possibly 400yds. The great thing about AR's is the parts are interchangeable (AR15's-Ar15's, not Ar15's-AR10's) so if you feel that a certain part in your rifle is not up to par, change it out for a better quality part There have bee many members here who with little to no experience, myself included, who have sourced out and built there own AR's. Each and every one of them have assembled excellent rifles with excellent results.

As for a rifle from Wally World ... you get what you pay for. I for one have decided to stop shopping there, even if it means costing me more, because they provide cheap inferior products ... all of them. I would rather support local businesses or US based businesses that do as little dealing, none if possible, with manufactures/sources outside the US.

My advice, build your own. It may end up costing you more (not by much though), but you will have intimate knowledge of how it is assembled and how it will perform.
thanks for the info.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I own a DPMS carbine. I am not into three gun or other competition. My DPMS runs steel case ammo with out problems and shoots as good as I do. It does everything I need.

However, I plan to build an AR 15 upper and plan to use Palmetto State parts. Just need a barrel, bolt carrier group and gas tube.

IMHO, buying a DPMS is like buying a Mossberg shotgun. There are brands that cost more and they are worth the cost. But you can successfully bag a limit of dove, duck, pheasant, etc. with a Mossberg. You can also shoot coyotes, varmints and targets with a DPMS. My buddy donated a tasty young whitetail to my freezer he took with his DPMS a couple of years ago.

Get the best you can afford.
great info, thanks.

and btw, i love my mossberg 930. shoots low brass all day when my friend's expensive benneli won't sometimes, spending less doesn't mean getting less...sometimes.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
because of the cheap price tag!

seriously, i have never been super interested in AR's before (black & tactical not really my style).....combine that with the fact that 3-5 years ago they couldn't really be had for less than about a grand, and that has been my reasons for avoiding the platform.

BUT.......just saw a DPMS sportical 16" at wally world for $587! now i'm begining to get interested

all i know about AR's is how to shoot them. a buddy of mine lets me shoot his bushmaster fairly regularly & i do think it is a lot of fun.

i do know DPMS is considered a lower quality AR. are they even worth having or junk? tell me some pros and cons please. I understand it won't have the high level of accuarcy that Ar's with better barrels would have, but i assume it would be at least as accuarate as my mini (1-2" groups)? any quality or reliability concerns?

i would really like to hear from DPMS owners if possible.

thanks for any info.
the one your looking at probbly has a polymer lower. stay away from those. no one has figured out how to make polymer durable or strong enough for a AR15 lower. problems include splitting at the buffer tube ring. flexing and pin holes widening out.

my wife has a dpms panther m4 clone. not much if anything was properly torqued. as a range rifle they are fine so long as you dont expect it to be as durable or perform like a larue or bcm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

sounds good. tell me why. what is the $ difference?

thanks
Why, see Johns post. Plus S&W has a better track record. Same price w/i $20.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Love my Stag, I will take it over others except aLWRC or LMT which I would like to have.

Closed Thread