VLTOR stock kit...review?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

VLTOR stock kit...review?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default VLTOR stock kit...review?

I want to use this stock on my next build
http://www.vltor.com/product/aebk-a5-vltor-a5-stock-combo-kit/

Are the buffer tube, buffer, spring, etc good quality parts from VLTOR?

Or should I buy the BCM stuff and buy the VLTOR stock separately?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

It looks like it might be intended for a carbine length gas system..
Would it be okay to use for a mid length?
It should I get a different buffer?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

its very very high quality stuff. their buffer tubes are better made than milspec with no sharp edges and a very very nice finish.

there are 3 types of buffer tubes carbine rifle and pistol. they just refer to the type of stock your using not the actual gas system. so you can use a pistol buffer tube spring and buffer on a rifle length gas system with no issues. or carbine or however you care to mix it up.

the only thing is whichever tube you pick the stock buffer and buffer spring need to be the same type.

now. there are two types of carbine buffer tubes milspec and commercial. milspec are smaller outside diameter which makes them stronger. commercial are a bit larger in outside diameter making them weaker but cheaper to make by a few pennies a unit.

back to vltor. the tubes are really tight to the proper stock making stock wiggle on collapsable stocks pretty non-existant. very very high quality stuff.

i use a very similar stock on my scar17. it shoulders very well and has a good solid feel. you wont go wrong with the kit.

ive got a vltor tube thats going on my ar15 carbine that was on the wife's dpms panther m4. i bought it to upgrade that rifle to milspec stock but its been on the shelf since i sold it and got her a bcm carbine. at some point the buffer retainer will bend and need to be replaced thats when the vltor tube goes in.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

question...

what is the difference between these two kits?
and which one would you recommend for a 14.5" middy

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-Carbine-Enhanced-Modstock-Kit-p/vltor%20aebk-mb%20emod-m%20kit%20black.htm

&

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-A5-Conversion-EMOD-Complete-KIT-BLACK-p/vltor%20aebk-a5b%20emod-a5%20black.htm

Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the 187$ one appears to be a more generic carbine buffer which will work well with a middy 14.5. the other is designed more for a carbine gas system which tend to be overgassed. that APPEARS to be the only real diff.

if i was considering that i would give vltor a call as the stats appear the same. there may be some subtle diff im missing from bcm's description.

if your going 14.5 i would strongly consider a carbine length gas system since a middy is designed specifically for a 16.5" barrel.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #6

Would running a 14.5 on a middy make it over or under 'gassed' compared to running a 16"?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have a review on the stock kit, but I do have an EMOD stock review that the above mentioned kit uses.

I installed it several years ago and have been more than happy with it. In fact, I made the mistake of putting it on my 6.5 Grendel AR this past weekend and realized just how much I liked it. I might just do it the redneck way and swap the stock back and forth between rifles.

VLTOR stock kit...review? - AR-15 Discussion

Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #8

Liked 164 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Can't comment on the kit itself but I'm sure impressed with the VLTOR parts I have used. I'm running their AK47 Modstock adapter with an EMOD. Fitment is super, adjustment is smooth, no looseness whatsoever. They sure know how to make a buffer tube and buttstock.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Would running a 14.5 on a middy make it over or under 'gassed' compared to running a 16"?

a little under. along the same lines as a 18" barrel and rifle length tube. if it feels like its going bang then a noticable wait for it to cycle or shortcycle on lighter loads then its under gassed. just use a lighter buffer or and or lighter buffer spring. boils down to who makes the barrel. if its a decent company they will have actually drilled the port to an adequate size for common ammo types

Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
a little under. along the same lines as a 18" barrel and rifle length tube. if it feels like its going bang then a noticable wait for it to cycle or shortcycle on lighter loads then its under gassed. just use a lighter buffer or and or lighter buffer spring. boils down to who makes the barrel. if its a decent company they will have actually drilled the port to an adequate size for common ammo types

It's a BCM barrel.
And I'd presume they'd do a great job.
I'll try out that kit.
I have a feeling the buffer will be too heavy, but worse case scenario is that I have to buy a new buffer.
No biggie.
Thank you for your help.