Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A Visit From a Stranger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A Visit From a Stranger

So say you're sitting at your house, minding your own business, watching some television, or doing whatever it is you do, when your doorbell rings. You think to yourself "hmm, that's strange, I wasn't expecting anyone". So you go over, answer the door to find a very average looking man standing there. He looks somewhat familiar, but you can't quite place him.

He asks if he can come in, you say "of course". When he gets inside, he suddenly introduces himself as your estranged uncle. You've heard stories of this man from your mother, but never planned on actually seeing him, and now that you think about it, he does have the same eyes and nose as your mother. The two of you wrap each other with a warm embrace. He goes on to explain where he has been all this time, tells you about himself, you tell him about yourself. He stays for a while, the two of you have a jolly ole' time.

Just as he's about to go, he mentions that he feels terrible about being gone for so long, and would like to do something to start your relationship off right. He say's that he would like to buy you a rifle. Money is no object he says. He only has two stipulations. #1 The rifle has to be an AR variant. #2 The rifle cannot be chambered in .223/5.56.

So what do you pick?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Id go with the AR-10 in .308. That would make one hell of a coyote rifle. Id choose a flattop so i could slap a big powerful scope on there and get at least a 20 inch free float varmint barrel.

Now, that i think about it ive always wanted a .50 Beowulf upper for my ar also, for those times when you need to stop a speeding car...haha

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 11-10-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Well since I already have a 450 Bushmaster that I really like, I guess an AR10 in 338 Federal it would be!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'd go with an 18" 308 from Noveske or a 20" LWRC REPR w/ a 16" barrel kit.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Id go with the AR-10 in .308. That would make one hell of a coyote rifle. Id choose a flattop so i could slap a big powerful scope on there and get at least a 20 inch free float varmint barrel.

Now, that i think about it ive always wanted a .50 Beowulf upper for my ar also, for those times when you need to stop a speeding car...haha
^^^^^Yeah, that right there ^^^^^

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd probably get a .308 remington R-25, I could use a new hunting ar

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
So say you're sitting at your house, minding your own business, watching some television, or doing whatever it is you do, when your doorbell rings. You think to yourself "hmm, that's strange, I wasn't expecting anyone". So you go over, answer the door to find a very average looking man standing there. He looks somewhat familiar, but you can't quite place him.

He asks if he can come in, you say "of course". When he gets inside, he suddenly introduces himself as your estranged uncle. You've heard stories of this man from your mother, but never planned on actually seeing him, and now that you think about it, he does have the same eyes and nose as your mother. The two of you wrap each other with a warm embrace. He goes on to explain where he has been all this time, tells you about himself, you tell him about yourself. He stays for a while, the two of you have a jolly ole' time.

Just as he's about to go, he mentions that he feels terrible about being gone for so long, and would like to do something to start your relationship off right. He say's that he would like to buy you a rifle. Money is no object he says. He only has two stipulations. #1 The rifle has to be an AR variant. #2 The rifle cannot be chambered in .223/5.56.

So what do you pick?

-Fred
What if he's an ATF spy? J/k AR-10 in .308 as a few have mentioned.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #8

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

An AR in .338 Lapua - Bad News .338 Lapua Semi-Auto from Only Long Range

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I had a couple of strange uncles but no estranged ones. With my family background I would wonder if it was hot. Because of ammo availability and cost, I would pick a 308. The uncle may be rich but I am not. Of course he would be close to 100 years old and maybe I am his only heir.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I kinda want an estranged unlce now, maybe he'll show up at my door step and buy me guns

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"