Video describing some of the extras you get with Colt, BCM, etc.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Video describing some of the extras you get with Colt, BCM, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Default Video describing some of the extras you get with Colt, BCM, etc.

Stumbled across this video that's pretty good at illustrating some important areas that may or may not be done properly in the various AR brands. We get into a lot of heated debates here so it's good to visualize what is being argued. Not saying this is a comprehensive video but it hits on quite a few high points.

Do you need these features, do you need to pay extra for them? It's up to you and what you intend to use your rifle for.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

i like the vid explains the basics pretty good but two things.

shot peening only hardens the very top few layers of steel molecules. this makes a part many many times more durable. a must have if your going to shoot a lot of rounds. a non shot peened bolt will pit and wear out a lot faster nearly ten times faster than one thats been shot peened. the cost of a bolt that has been peened is cheaper than buying just one replacement when the nonpeened wears out

any lower receiver will accept a milspec or commercial buffer tube. the type of tube does not affect receiver strength. only affects how easy it is to crush the tube itself. milspec diameter is a slight bit more rugged.

so if you choose to go a cheaper route its wise when you build yours up to invest in a very good carrier. it IS the heart of the firearm. a stock dpms will go from meh to good just changing that crappy bcg to a bcm or colt bcg

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-02-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 06-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #3

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
... so if you choose to go a cheaper route its wise when you build yours up to invest in a very good carrier. it IS the heart of the firearm. a stock dpms will go from meh to good just changing that crappy bcg to a bcm or colt bcg
I certainly agree but with the warning that a second BCG likely will morph into another AR! Anyway, that happened to me when I got a Daniel Defense BCG to upgrade my ArmaLite upper, moving the ArmaLite BCG out as a spare. Within six month I bought a DD upper, swapped the BCGs and had two ARs. And now with the new BCM I'm up to three! Oh well I got lots of spares now.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Good find Q.