Very bad first experience with my AR - Need some help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Very bad first experience with my AR - Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Failure to eject is most commly an extraction problem. If the case is not held firmly by the extractor, the ejector cannot do its job. Don't use any of the aftermarket O-rings or D-rings. Get a good extractor spring from Wolf or Specialized Armament Warehouse.

Check that the ejector is working freely by depressing it repeatedly with the firing pin tip. It should move smoothly but under tension.

A sliver of light between the upper and lower is no concern. Movement between these parts is a concern. Do not use an accu-wedge. They are designed to lighten your wallet, that is all. If you have excessive play between the upper and lower, cut a small piece of pipe cleaner and place it between the receiver halves under the chamber area to tighten things up.

Staggering gas rings is a Military Myth. Test the gas rings by stripping the BCG of all parts except the complete bolt and carrier. Hang the carrier by the bolt. The gas rings should hold the carrier on their own. If the carrier falls off the bolt, then it is time for new set of rings.

The carrier key (gas key) on top of the carrier is torqued to 40 INCH POUNDS. Do not over tighten them as they will break. They should be firmly staked.

Check the carrier for a "C" stamped on it indicating it is a real Colt part. The bolt should also be stamped with a "C".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

All right, had a much better night last night. After the complete cleaning I drove out to the middle of nowhere, dropped in a mag and fired away at will, nice smooth semi-auto action like I expected.

I guess Something either wasn't aligned right or was super dirty. Needless to say, the problem SEEMS to be fixed. More extensive testing will be this weekend, I'll report back.

Also, I saw no C on the bolt or the barrel, does this probably mean I don't have a Colt upper? If so, is it worth my hassle to confront the selling shop about it? It was a pawn shop with a large gun selection, one of the only places in town to get a firearm.

Last question, my upper is all one piece, meaning my handle is not removable. Is this less than desirable? Does it limit my options for optics and other accessories? In hindsight I would not have picked this gun, but they were so hard to find for a time I snatched one up thinking prices would continue to skyrocket.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk View Post
All right, had a much better night last night. After the complete cleaning I drove out to the middle of nowhere, dropped in a mag and fired away at will, nice smooth semi-auto action like I expected.

I guess Something either wasn't aligned right or was super dirty. Needless to say, the problem SEEMS to be fixed. More extensive testing will be this weekend, I'll report back.

Also, I saw no C on the bolt or the barrel, does this probably mean I don't have a Colt upper? If so, is it worth my hassle to confront the selling shop about it? It was a pawn shop with a large gun selection, one of the only places in town to get a firearm.

Last question, my upper is all one piece, meaning my handle is not removable. Is this less than desirable? Does it limit my options for optics and other accessories? In hindsight I would not have picked this gun, but they were so hard to find for a time I snatched one up thinking prices would continue to skyrocket.
They have optic mounts for the handle or the rail.

Glad to hear the rifle is working better now.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

A Colt bolt, carrier and barrel will be stamped with a "C". The barrel should be stamped on top just behind the muzzle "C MP Chrome" indicating it was made by Colt, has been magnetic particle tested (magnafluxed) and is Chrome lined. The bolt should be stamped with a "C". It may or may not be stamped "MP". All Colt bolts are magnetic particle tested , but not all are stamped "MP". The carrier, too, should be stamped with a "C"

If they sold it as a Colt upper and it is not a Colt upper, I would consider taking it back. You likely paid a premium for the Colt name. I would at least expect a partial refund.

Glad to hear it is running better.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Glad to hear it is running better.

Well, I'm pretty pissed because it's not. I thought it was, but it's not.

Tonight I took it to a friends house in the woods to confirm for once that it was fixed. Not only did I have more jams, but I got a new symptom.

Bear in mind this was in a completely cleaned and oiled gun. Not overly oiled, what I've been told is the correct amount.

I loaded up and fired off 6 shots then get the dreaded click. 6 consecutive shots is the longest it's went without a jam so I thought it might be a one off problem.

Cleared the jam and then after 2 more it jams again. This time I got a new symptom. I couldn't flip the switch to the Safe position. I dropped the magazine, cleared the gam and then I was able to move it to Safe. This is the first time that happened. It happened two other times, once after 2 shots and once after 4.

At that point I was so disgusted I packed up and left.

The ironic thing is I think I'm getting it nearly sighted in, it shot a nice tight group, at least for a beginner like me.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:51 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't believe the fact that the gun wouldn't go on safe is that big of an issue. I think that can be a bigger clue to the fte issue. I don't know the technical term, but I'm sure someone will come along and explain it. In the military we had to "rack safe" our guns after shooting on the range. Take your gun and clear it out and ensure nothing is in the chamber. Put the safety selector on fire. Pull the trigger. Try to put it on safe. It shouldn't go. What I believe happened is when you fired the bolt did not go back far enough to lock the hammer to the rear. Someone will probably be along to fill in the missing pieces.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #17

green19's right, they will not go to safe if the hammer isn't cocked. It didn't cock for the same reason that it's failing to extract.
It needs a good cleaning, using an M-16 chamber brush.
Disassemble the BCG clean it inside, also get a handgun rod or a section of rod and clean the internal part of BCG where the bolts rings seal up. Push out the pin that holds the extractor and remove the extractor then clean and inspect these parts also. Make sure the extractor is sharp and see if it will grab the base of a round. Look at the spring, see if it's broke.
Clean the inside of the upper receiver, clean out that divot towards the front. This is where the BCG's key fits into when you chamber a round, if it's gunked up then it could bind the gun too. Clean the bolt's locking lugs. Put some lube on the BCG where it contacts the inside of the upper, there are contact rails on the four corners of the carrier. Put it together and see if it cycles, pull the charging handle back and let the spring push the bolt back forward then repeat, see if it's moving freely.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #18

I went to Cabela's yesterday to talk to their gunsmith, he was not available but I got a salesperson who is an avid AR owner. I explained what was going on and he said it's almost definitely a magazine issue that's he seen and heard about before. I bough a new Pro-Mag and 2 boxes of good quality brass. I'm going to strip, clean and test fire those this weekend.

I'm also going to put some pics up of the pieces so you can guys can tell me if they look clean or not. I don't have much to compare them to.

Thx for all the help/suggestions.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #19

Default I know it sounds silly....

...but
I've got an almost-new AR15 chambered in 6.5 and I took a buddy out to shoot it. He just got back from the sandbox and, suffice it to say, he's no slouch when it comes to guns. He laid down and started firing and pretty much had the same experience you had. I laid down behind it and emptied a mag...no problem.
He laid down...problems...jams and ejection failures EVERY time he shot.
We stripped and reassembled it a couple times.
I shot it again...perfect!
He shot it again....more jams and ejection failures. I started to worry.
I was beginning to wonder if there was some sort of freak ergonomic thing going on....he's almost 6' 6" and he's got arms like a freakin' gibbon. So I laid down next to him and immediately noticed that he wasn't tucking the rifle snugly into his shoulder pocket. I pointed this out and asked him why; he explained that being almost 6' 6", and speed being king, his shooting position and grip had just evolved that way....you do whatever works when your ass in on the line.
In a nutshell, I told him to tuck it in tight. He did, and voila! No more problems! (and it only cost me about a hundred bucks and a night of handloading.)
Sometimes, Cyberpunk, when all the usual (technical ) suspects turn out to be innocent, it's time to look at fundamentals. The AR15/M16 is meant to be stable and stationary so that the action can function correctly. There are dozens of potential malfunctions that are due solely to incorrect grip and/or position.
Good luck,
Lappy

Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also, are you allowing the weight of the rifle to rest on the magazine when shooting from a bench? This can cause FTF. I only use 20 rd. mags when shooting from a bench because of this.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"