Verticle Grips.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Verticle Grips.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default Verticle Grips.....

Is using a forward vertical grip on a rifle ergonomically superior to supporting the barrel with an upward palm? It has been pointed out that when you turn your wrist sideways to grip a vertical grip, you are changing the muscles you are using to support the weight of the front of the weapon; more forearm and less bicep. Biceps generally are stronger than forearms, so are you creating more work for yourself (and possibly sacrificing some accuracy and wasting energy) by using a vertical grip?

I use them on almost all my SUR's. I don't grip it hard enough to make a difference between the forearm and bicep. Most rifles weigh about 8 pounds. With training you get used to it.

Since I have started using them, I have grown to love them, feel more in control of the rifle, and recover to target more easily. It would not be probable for me to adjust back to common horizontal upward palm support.

They do get in the way of prone and supported at times, but I am able to adjust.

Oh, you can really crank that barrel around in a vicious arc with excellant control too....if the need should ever arise to adjust the attitude of someone. YMMV.

Thoughts??

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have read some of its advantages in real life situations like ease of control of the rifle when clearing rooms and such
I think I'll try it out

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to run them on mine, but have switched back over. Just personal preference, I feel that I can get on target smoother and with more control without the vertical grip. But like you said, for some they work out better.
I always felt that they got in the way more than they contributed, so I took mine off.

With one exception, I have one that has a quick release mount, with the built-in bipod. No, not the Gripod, but more likely a copy. I haven't put it through too much use yet, but for those times when a little extra stability would be helpful, like for longer shots, it has come in handy. And when you don't need it, just fold up the legs and slide them back into the vertical grip. And if you don't need that, then it's just a flip of a lever and pop it back in a pocket.

Slo

Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I put a UTG 5 multi-position grip on my AR and although only running about 150 rounds through it so far I like the grip. Same thing as Jack said that shooting prone and supported, the grip can get in the way but thats the nice thing about the UTG grip, just adjust the position if needed.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think you have hit on the application perfectly My Friend.

I have used them in a stack and practicing to clear a room. In that application, I love them. Like you, I feel that I can come on target quicker and easier, with rapidly changing target position, I feel, is better done with a downward, vertical grip. Since both hands have a vertical grip, it feels like a more solid "triangle" with my chest/shoulders as the base.

If I need to do any longer distance shooting though, I do not like them and do feel they affect my accuracy. Others may not have the problem, but I learned to shoot with a "finger tips and thumb" support under the forearm when shooting standing/off hand. On the ground, in prone, I almost always shoot supported in my traditional "tactical" position, so again there is no need for the VGT.

Which is one of the reasons I really love the quick release types like the ones made by Brobo Engineering and Tangodown. The Tangodown models even have a sealed "O" ring for storage of extra batteries for my EoTech.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8871 Times on 3843 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Have used one for squirrel hunting for years. Mossberg started making this one with a folding forearm in 1949.

mossberg-152.jpg

Mossberg 152. click to enlarge pic

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I live in Lakewood, Wa.. Pistol preference here..

100_0814.jpg  

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My brother had installed a front vertical grip on his (then) new Bushmaster a few years ago. We went to the range to get him sighted in (with his also then new Trijicon ACOG) and he could not hit squat shooting off a bench with sand bags.

The next time we went to the range, I advised him to take the forward grip off, and shoot how he had always shot before. He was on target and deadly accurate within a half box of ammo!

I think the forward grip would be good in tactical fast reaction point and shoot situations, and maybe Ok for target shooting if you spend a good bit of time getting used to it (which seems to be good advice for anytime you get something new).

TXnorton

Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #9

I like the vertical foregrip on my Short AR, feels more in control with the light weight and short barrel/stock. For my NM A-2 I would not even concider it. With the classic palm, I am more accurate and I have more flexibility for sitting the rifle for long shots.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 03-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A vertical foregrip helps me get my sight picture back a little faster. It works for me. Might not for you.