Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > UTG Pro Weaver/Picatinny Rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
They are airsoft quality and heavy. I hear they have recently started a line geared toward real firearms. I saw one of their 10" rails runs around 15-16oz. My DD 12" quad weights 15oz. I have 13" tubes that weight 10-11oz. A 15-16oz 10in rail is excessive.

That's from the old stuff made in China. They have had a new plant in Michigan for the past two years manufacturing rails. They have lessened the weight and they are much stronger than before. I had one of those heavier rails, though heavy, it was very strong, tight, and fit perfectly.

I have a new one now, way lighter, fits perfectly, looks good, made in the USA, and last weekend I beat the heck out my rifle on a hog hunt. Two days of swamp buggy rides, in and out of blinds, stands, and through the thickest stuff I've ever been in. I actually have a scrape on the side of my RDS just above the rail. Everything is still nice and tight.

There was a nice write up in Guns America magazine too.

And, one of my guns has a Magpul foregrip, one has a Troy, and the UTG on my hog gun, so I don't have loyalty to any company unless it works for me.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 02-20-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What's the new line? The pro series?

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=&level2=&itemno =MTU003&status=&mtrack=m

19.3oz 12"? That's insane. The weight alone is enough for me to turn away.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #23
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
What's the new line? The pro series?

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=&level2=&itemno =MTU003&status=&mtrack=m

19.3oz 12"? That's insane. The weight alone is enough for me to turn away.
I know you love Daniel defense, but the lightest 12" rail they have comes in at 13.4 oz. while im not saying 6oz is not a significant weight savings (at quite a cost though) its hardly "INSANE" to have a 19.3 oz 12" rail

Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3

I know you love Daniel defense, but the lightest 12" rail they have comes in at 13.4 oz. while im not saying 6oz is not a significant weight savings (at quite a cost though) its hardly "INSANE" to have a 19.3 oz 12" rail
I only have one DD rail so I wouldn't use the word love. If it was easy to obtain the weight savings and still produce the strongest rail on the market everyone could/would do it. It's not easy so there is a price to pay for top quality and engineering. Well worth it in my book. I personally like Troy's Extreme tubes teamed up w/ mounts from IWC.

I believe the UTG rail is the heaviest 12" I have come aross.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-20-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #25

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is the one I put on the hog gun. 8.6 oz. Does what I want it to do, and at a decent price.

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12115

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
This is the one I put on the hog gun. 8.6 oz. Does what I want it to do, and at a decent price.

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12115
That's a pretty slick rail there Car54, I hadn't ever seen that one. The weight at 8.6 oz's is really good and at $60 I don't know how you can go wrong. I like that's it's USA made and also the option for locating the rails in different locations along the side.

BTW, the Daniel Defense model mentioned above is $300-$350 at most places I looked. You're talking about a completely different animal there and I'm not sure why anyone needs a $350 rail. I guess it makes you more special if your AR costs over $3,000.