Using an AR-15 to hunt??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Using an AR-15 to hunt???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Jim Zumbo was/ is one of those big time tv star hunters who is supported by the outdoor industry, that is until he made a statement that HE didnt think that assault weapons should be used for hunting. It created such a stink that Remington and other sponsors and his fans pitched a bitch. A week later he apologized to every one
on his TV show for making a un thought out statement that hurt all hunters. He then did a couple of shows featuring hunting with AR's.

What made his statement so bad is that it gave anti hunters ammo to use against us. The anti groups can now
say "look even hunters dont like these evil assualt weapons, we need to ban them" The same thing can be said of this post and others just like it. The anti trolls that troll through hunting forums look/create topics like this to use in their agenda. They love it when they can get fellow hunters talking bad about the way other hunters do things.
I am not pointing fingers or saying that was the intent of this post. I am just pointng out a fact of the world we live in. United we stand, Devided we fall.

Last edited by theboarbuster; 12-28-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Let me go ask the 100 or so varmints that had their guts sprayed all over a bean field how they liked being shot with my Ar vs my 700 VSSF.

If the caliber meets your state requirements and your rifle does too. Who the hell cares it is not like the AR is a weapon that kills animals at the sight of it.

Good lord tell them to grow up and grow a brain.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #13

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboarbuster View Post
Jim Zumbo was/ is one of those big time tv star hunters who is supported by the outdoor industry, that is until he made a statement that HE didnt think that assault weapons should be used for hunting. It created such a stink that Remington and other sponsors and his fans pitched a bitch. A week later he apologized to every one
on his TV show for making a un thought out statement that hurt all hunters. He then did a couple of shows featuring hunting with AR's.

What made his statement so bad is that it gave anti hunters ammo to use against us. The anti groups can now
say "look even hunters dont like these evil assualt weapons, we need to ban them" The same thing can be said of this post and others just like it. The anti trolls that troll through hunting forums look/create topics like this to use in their agenda. They love it when they can get fellow hunters talking bad about the way other hunters do things.
I am not pointing fingers or saying that was the intent of this post. I am just pointng out a fact of the world we live in. United we stand, Devided we fall.
Very well said, TBB! Thanks for posting that. It's exactly why many of us get riled when antigun terms and propaganda are used here. Why play into the gungrabbers' hands.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #14

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
20 or 30 round mags for hunting kinda stupid anyhow.
Cuz of weight!!! I'm not sure who would want to hunt with a fully-loaded 30-round magazine.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

boarbuster!

You are right that the 458 SOCOM will kill a boar! OR should we say DRT HAMMER a PIG! Which it does is a split second. Never had a pig go down any quicker. Of course I do wish to refer to the weapon system as the AR or AR Platform. Anyway the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel is also a good choice.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Cuz of weight!!! I'm not sure who would want to hunt with a fully-loaded 30-round magazine.
when your down near the mexican border you better have more than one or two rounds in your magazine. if you dont its a real possibility the drug runners armed by barrack hussein obama with weapons the average US citizen cannot legally own will either kill you or kidnap you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #17

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

sniper03 I have seen some before. Some yabadoos ride'n look'n for piggys back in florida with ether AR's or AK's. Gives you a real mall ninja feeling.

JonM Guess where legal you can allways keep that monster mag or 2 in your pocket or pack. Kinda sounds like the cc guy that has to have 18 rounds on them instead 7 round mag. xm or glock vs 1911 or kahr Ether way. If I am on my game I will see them before they see me.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

JonM, that's funny, I was thinking, "Except for the border areas" too. But I'm in Oregon so I don't usually plan confronting drug cartels. Occasionally a pot grow operation, perhaps.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #19

I shot an 80lb doe at 75 yds and a 150lb 8 point at 100+ yds this year with my rock river carbine with an eotech this year. Both dropped. It's all about shot placement.