Using an AR-15 to hunt???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Using an AR-15 to hunt???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Using an AR-15 to hunt???

I was talkin with some buddies of mine that dont hunt but arent against it (they are soldiers) about using a Carbine type weapon to hunt with? They consider it unsportsmanlike to do with it being an "assult rifle". Opinions? do any off yall hunt with an AR?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #2

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

Plenty of people use an AR type to hunt with , its no different than a semi auto 5 shot rifle that people use to hunt with every day , i wouldnt worry about what others say and if you are buy a low capacity mag for it and use it , Also depends on what your hunting , If it were me and I was going to hunt deer or anything bigger I would be using a .308

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Its unsportsmanlike to empty a full 30 mag at a deer, sure.

Not unsportsmanlike to cleanly take an animal with a single well placed shot.

Didn't matter what gun is used as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

I do not hunt deer with the AR in 223/5.56 but do use it frequently to hunt coyotes and pigs. Both in the day and with Night Vision in Texas. Illegal to use NV in Tennessee to hunt! Which sucks~ The AR is light and shorter which makes it easy and fast handling for hunting. Yes! there has been occasions where I have had to shot a pig twice if I did not hit it exactly where I wanted. Of course with any caliber and especially with the smaller calibers shot placement is the key. Will it kill a deer? "Sure will", but "Good" shot placement is a requirement! Otherwise the deer will run off and die never to be seen again! I have the ultimate respect for all animals I kill predator, pig or what ever. And believe in the quickest most humane way possible. DRT is best!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For me, it's not the firearm that's the issue, it's the person behind it. A responsible hunter should be able to make a kill shot most of the time with the first round: occasionally, a follow up shot might be needed to take something down. So there is not much need for more than a few rounds, maybe 2 to 4 rounds. So Remington 700, AR, Browning A-Bolt - they are just the instruments delivering the rounds if used responsibly.

It's a bit scary when you are out hunting and you hear someone quickly cracking off 8 or 10 rounds trying to "catch up" with running game. If they missed with the first or second round, they'll probably miss with the next six or eight too, and it's those rounds flying through the hunting grounds that scare me. You don't hear 8 or 10 quick rounds from a Remington 700 or Browning A-Bolt hunter...you get that most of the time from the hunters with black guns.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I see no problem with hunting with an AR. They are no different from the good old Remington 7400 or other wood stocked semi-auto's that have been used for decades. Yeah a moron spraying and praying with an AR or any other gun is just that... a moron.
I hunted with my AR with a 450 Bushmaster upper this year. 5 shot magazine and no different from any other sporting arm. The people who do not like them have fallen for the anti gunners BS.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #7

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Tell them to buy some 5 shot mags or only give them one cartidge to hunt with. Sinle shot AR!! They will quickly learn to control that first shot. 20 or 30 round mags for hunting kinda stupid anyhow.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have 4 AR's I hunt with. I have a 6.8 SPCII, a 458 Socom, a 5.56 carbine and a 5.56 AR pistol. They are all capable of one shot DRT kills. I have killed hundreds of hogs with the 5.56 and quite a few deer. I find the AR platform to be one of the best hunting weapons made. I dont know why anyone would call an AR an assault rifle except for the people that wanted to create a class of weapons that could be singled out so they could be treated differantly than other weapons. One persons deffinition of an assault weapon today could include the lever action 30/30 tomarrow.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ask Jim Zumbo what he thinks of AR's for hunting

Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #10

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Jim zumo ??? Really, who cares what he thinks.