Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > used ar-15 $850 good deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Aw shucks JD, I'd buy one you built. Now you've made me feel all sad. Are you sad too?

Do you guys need a support group?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkchucker View Post
Absolutely. However if it shoots well, why not? I have overspent on a firearm just because of the instant satisfaction. Not to mention it is a friend of his and if the reason he is selling is due to economy why not slip him some extra?

But it does seem to be worth the money. If ya look around at shops there is not many of the a4 clones out there yet, and it is in the price range of a new piece. 20 rounds through it is about 10 more than we run through the M&P ars at Smith.
True. Knowing the manufacturer of the rail and a couple other small things will definitely make the difference.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #23

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

$850 for a used AR that's a bastard build?

No thanks. Especially if your buddy is just Joe schmoe.

Now, if it had been asssembled by a reputable armorer, I might reconsider.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
$850 for a used AR that's a bastard build?

No thanks. Especially if your buddy is just Joe schmoe.

Now, if it had been asssembled by a reputable armorer, I might reconsider.
I really dont understand this statement. I am a Joe Schmoe. and have assembled well over 10 of them just for myself. I have 2 built this year alone for LEO friends. This is the one of the problems with throwing statements out there, The AR platform is a Leggo block of Rifles. They are in spec, no problems. There are Hundreds built everyday by citizens that will be on par with anything out there by Spikes, Smith and Colt.

I am not an armorer, or Gunsmith, but all my Ars have been safe to shoot and accurate. They are headspaced properly and not to mention cheaper to build than buy.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

No need to be defensive. The folks here have your best interests at heart and I hope this will explain what we are all trying to express.

I think it's a question of expenditure vs. return. If you can buy a new factory built rifle with a factory warranty, vs a home built rifle, why would you buy the home built one?

It the guy's a great friend and builds outstanding rifles, then maybe, but only maybe.

It's your money, you can spend it any way you want. You don't need our permission or our approval. However, if you ask for an opinion, you're going to get one. If you don't care for the answers, remember, you're the one who asked for them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-13-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #26

No offence taken to it. I just dont understand how it can be dismissed just due to being a Frankenstien. warrenty is an issue, but you can get good pieces also made by average joe.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

that and a quality manufacturer sates the parts and materials used in their rifles. And you'll have much better resale if that situation ever arises.

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-13-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
No offence taken to it. I just dont understand how it can be dismissed just due to being a Frankenstien. warrenty is an issue, but you can get good pieces also made by average joe.
True but its rare that a guy has all the correct tools for the job. A proper staking tool from what Ive found is close to $100 alone.

What bolt is is this AR? What are the specs on the barrel? Is it a factory BCM upper? What rail?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #29

I would want to know the specs first. I built an AR kit for $499 that functions great but wouldnt sell it to a friend for $800 just because it works as it should.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #30

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I really dont understand this statement. I am a Joe Schmoe. and have assembled well over 10 of them just for myself. I have 2 built this year alone for LEO friends. This is the one of the problems with throwing statements out there, The AR platform is a Leggo block of Rifles. They are in spec, no problems. There are Hundreds built everyday by citizens that will be on par with anything out there by Spikes, Smith and Colt.

I am not an armorer, or Gunsmith, but all my Ars have been safe to shoot and accurate. They are headspaced properly and not to mention cheaper to build than buy.
BUT, nobody in any group other than your circle of friends is gonna know a " hawkchucker AR" apart from any other gun, and will discount it as a bastard gun built by Joe nobody.

AR's might be easy to build. Might even say all you need are some tools and common sense. But I've met guys with tools that shouldn't be allowed to change a lawnmowers spark plug.

Anyone can assemble one, but without name and reputation behind the product, its just another frankenbuild.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?