Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Uppers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/uppers-11877/)

Myammo-is-myvote 03-15-2009 07:11 PM

Uppers

Greetings people.
I am starting my 1st build.
Right now i'm with a RRA lower
DOes anyone have any suggestions for a quality upper reciever.:confused:
I have found some cheap ones($120) but i know u get what you pay for.
I want good lasting parts but will save the really high quality parts for the next build. I'm not really with waiting 4 months for pqarts kits. I'd rather build it from scratch myself.
Any imput is appretiated.

Dillinger 03-15-2009 07:55 PM

What are you looking to do with the weapon? What is the end result? varmint shooter? CQB weapon? What is your ideal end result...

Myammo-is-myvote 03-16-2009 03:44 AM

my ar

My end result is a reliable lasting personal protection rifle.

hunter Joe 03-18-2009 12:17 AM

I purchased a RRA stripped lower last weekend. I been floating around AR15.com and it looks like you can buy a qulity complete upper stating at $450.00. Personally I would stick to the name brands. This might save you $$ in the long run. I read an article in American Hunter magazine tonight and I'm going to buy an upper chambered in .204 Ruger. I've been wanting to load this caliber since it was introduced anyway. Good Luck, Joe

Dillinger 03-18-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myammo-is-myvote (Post 82814)
My end result is a reliable lasting personal protection rifle.

Okay. That's a start. Do you want this for room to room, building to building, protection? Or do you want this for Zombies in the Wire, 600 Meters out protection?

I will GLADLY help you build a tack driver, but I need to know what you want the weapon to do.

If you want to hit a pepsi can at 100 yards, order what ever you want. If you want to hit inside the emblem, with multiple shots, at 100 yards, help me, help you...

JD

Myammo-is-myvote 03-20-2009 06:17 PM

my upper

Well the first build will be more of a building to building protection. something not to combersome but accurate in close to mid range quaters. A utilitarian battle rifle that i can use as a go to gun in a pinch.

The next build will be for something that is long distance and accurate.
Something to stop trouble before it reaches you.

I'm also considering building a 7.62 version. but not sure which would be the best use for that build.
THank you for your imput.:)

Dillinger 03-20-2009 06:39 PM

Okay, building to building, street to street style fighting? If you can't get a Tax Stamp for an SBR and Silencer - then I would say you want the following:

16" 1:7 twist barrel chambered in Nato 5.56mm

Free floated fore end to dissipate heat.

Collapsible stock. CTR is making one of the best right now, but you don't need to buy one that is THAT expensive.

A3 flat top upper, with back up, fold down iron sights, ( BUIS ) and either a red dot or an Eotech, something like that.

Good sling, preferably a two point.

Extra mags with the good followers.
AMMO - Lots and LOTS of ammo...

JD