Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper reciever problems, need help!!! smh!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Upper reciever problems, need help!!! smh!!!!

okay so i have a bush master carbine that is "carbon" and when i say carbon i mean its not the usual forged aluminum.. i bought a yhm free float and the barrel nut that came with the yhm is a tad smaller than the barrel nut that was on the ar..so with that in mind are there different sized barrel nuts or is it just because it a carbon receiver and not the aluminum??? My next question is should i just buy a new receiver or try a different barrel nut and will my barrel fit in a new different receiver?? im so pissed, i was excited to put this bushy together and now im at a dead end with this damn barrel nut b.s.

You guys help me a lot so far i could only think to come here and hope for the best resolution!! Any good receivers around $100??? i have a few in mind like yhm, del-ton, rra but just figured id ask

Last edited by magnum05; 12-06-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: forgot a question

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Barrel nut threads should be all the same on the ar15 platform, unless Bushmaster pulled a proprietary FU, do you have a dial caliper? Measure inside radius of the nuts.

Be sure to lubricate the threads with good oil AFTER cleaning them WELL.

Torquing to 30#, back of slightly, then to the next keyhole not exceeding 80#.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

You have a CARbon 15- and the design is a smidge different from the standard AR. Parts may not fit.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

When you say that the barrel nut is smaller do you mean that it does not allow the barrel to be secured to the receiver or that the outside diameter of the barrel nut is smaller than the one supplied. Reason I ask is that the free float tube mounts to the supplied YHM barrel nut and the diameter may be different. The 2 barrel nuts are not interchangeable so there is no need for them to be of similar size.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Call Bushmaster tomorrow. They will have some info for you. If the barrel nut won't thread on, you can't use it obviously. They may have a recommendation for you.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #6

The barrel nut that came with yhm free float is a smaller diameter than the barrel nut/delta ring that was on the ar to secure to barrel to the receiver..

Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Palmetto State Armory has stripped uppers on tonight for $54.99. Regular price is 99.99 + shipping. This is a great stripped upper.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #8

Yeah I seen that but they don't have m4 feed ramps and my barrel has them so wasn't sure if I could use that

Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum05
Yeah I seen that but they don't have m4 feed ramps and my barrel has them so wasn't sure if I could use that
Good catch.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #10

I measured both barrel nuts and it's a .050 difference, so im going to stick the yhm barrel nut which is a smalller I.d than the original nut in a lathe and take down the i.d of the threads .025 and see what happens..thanks for the help guys