Upper Receiver/BCG package
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper Receiver/BCG package

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Upper Receiver/BCG package

I'm new to AR's. I've shot my uncles Oly's and RRA'S...and the assortment of others that he has and fell in love. Now I'm building my own; I completely built my lower the last time I was home.

CMMG stripped 5.56 lower
RRA standard lower parts kit
DPMS 4 position buttstock

I've been looking around for a package deal on a complete upper with BCG, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with Palmetto State Armory uppers? And also open to any suggestions, I'm wanting to make a 16".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Devildog,
I am not for sure at the present but their receivers in the past have been made by OLY!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It would be surprising if they were made by Oly w/ the reliability reported by shooters of the PSA uppers. Well, I guess it is possible if PSA laid down the specs and have kept up a rigorous inspection process. If Oly is capable of making a good, low priced upper why wouldn't they do it for themselves?

I don't own a PSA upper, yet, but the reports are very impressive for a sub-$500 complete upper.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks. I also have seen on here ppl debating on 1:7 vs. 1:9. I've only dealt with 1:9, but wouldn't 1:8 be better overall if you want to shoot a wide range of ammo?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #5

Also this is the upper I'm looking at:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/2096.php

Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #6

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogcg View Post
Thanks. I also have seen on here ppl debating on 1:7 vs. 1:9. I've only dealt with 1:9, but wouldn't 1:8 be better overall if you want to shoot a wide range of ammo?
1/8" is a great compromise but often you see it in a stainless barrel or heavy profile. The lighter barrels tend to be 1/7 or 1/9. I'd choose 1/7 and in a midlength gas profile - unless you know you'll mainly be shooting ammo under 55gr.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

I tend to shoot the cheapest ammo I can find = more shooting in the end
And its just a toy so I'm not real concerned with weight. I won't be doin any comps. I just enjoy going with my dad out shooting when I go home; takes me back to the days when he was first teaching me how to shoot when I was younger.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That PSA SS 1:8 upper was next on my list but decided to go w/ an AK. The SS won't have the lifespan of a chrome lined barrel.

For a long lasting, versitile option a 1:7, chrome lined, midlength gas system, standard or light profile barrel gets it done for me.