Upper Receiver for AR-15, .458 caliber - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper Receiver for AR-15, .458 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fates_Enemy View Post
DUDE ! That is a sexy friggin gun ! I dig everything about it, but I really love that Stock. What kind is that, I've seen them before, I kno they are common, but I've never seen one for sale at the local gunshops I go to so I wanna try to find one online.

What kind of Barrel are you using ? and what Brand is the Lower ? and obviously you bought the upper separately, what brand is it ? Is it the Rock River Arms ?
The stock is an Ace Ltd. Fixed Skeleton Stock.

The lower is a Mega Machine billet.

The upper is a RRA .458 SOCOM A4 Upper Half

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just do it! You'll love the gun. And if you find the rounds are getting to expensive you can always put a 5.56 atop your receiver.

I'm looking into pig hunting, i've got my sites zeroed on my 2nd scope. the first one didn't survive the kick (see my link below).

When buying ammo, go with SBR. I had problems with the Cor*Bon stuff.

I did have a lot of problems that turned out to mostly be the ammo.
http://www.glovesandclover.com/ar15/458socom/

Can't wait to see pictures of your setup when you get it.
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 10-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

What's the bullet drop like at 200 yards, when zeroed at 100 yards, it looks interesting, but why not just use 7.62x39. that will kill a pig with no issue out to 200 yards with no trouble at all, and its far cheaper to shoot. Throwing the biggest piece of led possible isn't always the best idea when u can't get enough of a charge behind it to make it worth while. I know that .458 is a good round for what it is. I just don't understand the appeal when it doesn't do much more than round that are available every where and for less money.

On a side note, I have taken many deer and pigs with both .223 and 7.62x39

To me its seems like trying to reinvent the wheel is all IM trying to say

Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The 458 Socom was designed by Marty ter Weeme. His companys name is http://www.teppojutsu.com/458.com There is a lot of good info about the Socom round on his web site. It was designed for special forces. It became a hunting rd because it is very functional. You basicly have a 45/70 in an AR package with bullets ranging from 100 grs to 600grs. There are other guns in its class 450 BM and the 50 BW but they dont have the range of bullets that are avaliable for the 458 Socom. Now we have Barnes making a bullet designed for the Socom the 300TTSX. This bullet opens perfectly every time. The one in this pic took out a 300 lb hog traveling 17" through bone and both sheilds stopping just under the hide.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #15

damn it, what kind of accurat range does it have though

Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It a 200 yard gun. Its just like a 45/70. If you sight the 405 gr rem jsp at 100 yards it will be 11" low at 200. The 300 TTSX shoots flatter.2" high at 100 4" low at 200.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This might not be exactly accurate. but this is what I figured for my 405 grain @ 100 yard zero:

"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 10-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #18

yeah, im just going to stick with my 7.62x39 build plan

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #19

What's the Velocity/FPS and general Ballistic difference betweem 7.62x39 and 7.62x59 ? The only difference I am aware of is one is NATO (the x59) and the other is Russian (the x39).

Oh and just outta curiosity, this is sorta off topic, being about a different caliber and all, but besides the StG-44 (Assuming you all kno what gun that is, which I am sure you do) are there any other civilian legal Rifle/Machine-Pistols that shoot the 8x33mm Kurz (a.k.a. 7.9mmK, or 8x33 Polte) ? I would love to get an actual StG-44 (Sturmgewehr 44) but the few that I have found for sale, are up in the $15,000 and up, range!!! Which, needless to say, as a struggling musician, I cannot even imagine affording one anytime soon lol Same thing with a Thompson Sub-Machine gun .45ACP, which the only two that I have found are like $20,000. But I figured that there had to be more then just one gun that fired the 8x33mm Kurz round, and I am a huge history buff, mostly Roman/Greek era, classical History and Mythology, Egyptology, etc etc, but I am also a huge Military History buff, and I love WWII stuff, and wanted to add some WWII rifles to my slowly growing collections (last time I posted, I only had 3 guns, but yesterday I just got my custom Painted, Storm-Trooper style (Black & White) Romanian AK-47, which I paid 900$ for, which most of that price was for the paint job (Which you wouldn't think a basic paint job like Black and White, storm-trooper theme, would be that expensive, but apparently any paint job on a gun is kinda pricey from what I've been told) and the optics rail and fore-grip, I had put on it. So that is officially the oldest gun I own. I used to own a Mosin-Nagant a few years back, but it got stolen (along with my Xbox360/PS3, 47" LED LCD, Laptop, iPod Touch, a few other expensive items) when my apartment got broken into, so now the AK is the oldest gun I own, but I would like to change that. And really am interested in the 8x33mm Kurz round, since its so historical, and the story behing how the Sturmgewehr 44 came to be is really cool. Hitler told them not to make it, that it was a waste of money cause his soliders already had everything they needed, and the Kar98k was actually his favorite gun, he loved it, he used it when he fought in WW I, and he thought it was the best gun in the world (which at the time, it definitely was one of the best) and that it was all his troops needed. And the german people considered the Kar98k to be a symbol of german, military superiority, so that was another reason he didn't want his troops using something. He was iffy about even allowing the MP-40 to be produced. So he orderd them not to make the Sturmgewehr 44, but one of his Officer (i kno the guys name, but I can't remember it off the top of my head) went behind his back and had it put into production, and then one day, when Hitler was visting the Russian front, doing his meet and greet with the troops, they put a new rifle into his hands, which was the Sturmgewehr 44, and he instantly feel in love with it, and ordered it into production, not knowing that it already was lol but unforunately for the Germans (Lucky for the Allies) it was too late, for it to make a difference in the war. But had it gotten into the hands of a significant amount of troops, a year or two prior, when they still were winning the war, it could have changed the outcome of the war for the worse (for the better for the germans). So yea, anyways, anyone kno of any rifles that shoot it the round ?

EDIT - Just remembered that dudes name that went behind Hitlers back, it was Haenel. He was the Officer who did not comply with the order Hitler gave to not continue development and start production of the StG 44, and so Haenel resorted to subterfuge to be able to continue development. He then had the weapon renamed to hide its true identity. They classified it as a sub-machine gun instead of a Carbine,and named it the Maschinenpistole 43 (Machine Pistol, Model of 1943). And like I said, the reason why Hitler didn't want the weapon Developed/Produced, was because in Hitler's mind, based on his own combat experience in World War 1, a service rifle should fire a full-power cartridge so it could shoot accurately at long range (800 to 1,000 meters). The MP43 as it was called at that time, because they were hiding it from Hitler, fired a lower powered cartridge that was effective to about half that range. This however, inferred other advantages that made the weapon more suitable to the needs of modern mobile warfare, which was the doctrine of the German military. Once Hitler was convinced of this, then it was all good in the hood lol and he christened the weapon himself as the Sturmgewehr 44, literally translating to "Storm-Rifle" or "Assault-Rifle", hence, the first Assault Rifle was born, and the rest is history ! So that's another reason we have to thank the Germans, even tho the Nazi's were friggin *******, Facist, pigs, they were amazing Engineers, Weapon Designers, Military Tacticians, etc etc. Really, if it wasn't for Hitler insisting on Making all the final decisions, instead of letting his commanders make on the go decisions while in the field, they might of actually beat the Russians. But Hitler made his commanders check with him before doing anything, even if they were in the middle of a fire fight, the Field Marshals were not aloud to make any Tactical decisions without calling Hitler himself on the radio first. Unlike Our military, where our Commanders our given a general outline for their missions, and then they are aloud to make decisions on the go on how to best complete that mission. They don't have to call back home for every little thing. And so not only did Hitler make his commanders do this, but Hitler thought he knew better then even his most experienced, commanders, and by the time they were fighting the russians, Hitler had already started to lose his friggin mind, and so made some horrible, crazy, non-sense, decisions, and just led his troops to slaughter pretty much, hence why for the last couple years of the war, there were over 100 assassination attempts on his life, all of them being concocted by his own people lol

Last edited by Fates_Enemy; 11-01-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #20

WOW ! Sorry for going on and on like that. I just love Firearms and History, which is why I joined this forum obviously. So I hope I didn't annoy anyone too much. And hopefully Someone learned something from reading all of that lol

But regardless, My main point was to ask if there are any other rifles besides the StG-44 that shot the 8x33mm Kurz round.