Upper Receiver for AR-15, .458 caliber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper Receiver for AR-15, .458 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Upper Receiver for AR-15, .458 caliber

I just recently (as in just a few min ago lol) heard about a round called, .458 SOCOM, which is shot through a specially designed Receiver that will fit practically any AR-15 Lower. I did some reading on it from wikipedia - .458 SOCOM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - which had a good amount of info about it. But I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with it, and what they think of it. And also, if civilians are able to purchase it as well as the upper receivers that are chambered for it ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fates_Enemy View Post
I just recently (as in just a few min ago lol) heard about a round called, .458 SOCOM, which is shot through a specially designed Receiver that will fit practically any AR-15 Lower. I did some reading on it from wikipedia - .458 SOCOM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - which had a good amount of info about it. But I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with it, and what they think of it. And also, if civilians are able to purchase it as well as the upper receivers that are chambered for it ?
To answer your second question...yes, several members here have .458 SOCOM chambered AR 15s. From what I have gathered, however, unless you roll your own the round is too expensive for recreational shooting, but it makes a kickazz hog killer. Here's a comparison photo for reference...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

The 458 SOCOM is a fantastic close range round. 200 and under and will flat "down a hog in a NY Second". HAs about the same ballistics at 100 yards as the 45-70. I was with Dick Metcalf on a hunt when he shot a hog in the third season of Peterson's Hunting on the Outdoor Channel. He was using a 340 gr round and the Hog was dead on the ground by the time Dick blinked his eyes from the recoil of the rifle. He was using a Rock River 458 SOCOM in a 16: barrel. The good thing about the 458 SOCOM is it uses a standard AR-15 Magazine. And yes, Jpyle advised anyone can purchase one like any other normal AR Upper. Dies are available for it and are easily reloaded. There are several companies producing the rounds now. However I would not recommend one for just plinking due to cost at the present. But if you want something special and with the idea of possibly doing some hunting with it, it is the ticket! I know for example Indiana has accepted it for deer hunting due to it's case configuration. That should make them happy with their state primarily shotgun, pistol, muzzle loader and bow only! No Rifles! Now they have an excellent rifle cartridge to shoot deer and pigs with. From what I have seen, it would make an excellent black bear gun also.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #4

Right on, thanks for the info. I am not a big hunter, never gone, tho I would like to try it. You were right about those rounds being friggin expensive tho. I just checked online for them, and you're lookin at about 399$ for 200 FMJ 350g Rounds and about $1955 for a thousand of them. That some friggin expensive shooting right there lol I do definitely want to try and shoot one of these rifles tho for sure. Guess I am gonna have to find a GunShop/Range around here that has one I can shoot. Cause I don't have the money to spend on those rounds lol

Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hey its only money.

I present to you my AR-45 named MAGNUM P.I.g

Go here for the read:

The Build Time Has Come!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey its only money.

I present to you my AR-45 named MAGNUM P.I.g

Go here for the read:

The Build Time Has Come!

DUDE ! That is a sexy friggin gun ! I dig everything about it, but I really love that Stock. What kind is that, I've seen them before, I kno they are common, but I've never seen one for sale at the local gunshops I go to so I wanna try to find one online.

What kind of Barrel are you using ? and what Brand is the Lower ? and obviously you bought the upper separately, what brand is it ? Is it the Rock River Arms ?

Man I really really want that gun lol

And yes, your are definitely right, it is indeed only money, but I am only 25, and a College Student(I am going to school for Audio Engineering and Music Theory, as well as some other music classes, and some Game Design on the side just for fun, but Audio Engineering and Music Theory are the two areas I am getting degrees in) who just had to move back in with his parents in order to save money, and also, I am a struggling Musician (I am a guitarist of 12yrs, played Alto and Tenor Saxophone before that, as well as Jazz Trumpet, I've been a musician since 2nd grade when I started out in Choir), so the only Money I get is from the two part-time jobs I have, and the lil bit of money my band and I make playing shows around Seattle and other various places, and off the band merch we sell (T-shirts, Stickers, etc etc and our 5 song EP which we sell for 7$. Our T-shirts are the most expensive thing we sell and they are only 10$, 13$ and 15$, depending on what design) and when I am not working or going to school 4 nights a week, then I am either @ band practice or Playing shows. And then whatever time I get in between all that and sleep, I go to either the range or out to my buddies parents place, which they live way out in the sticks, and have about 15acres of property which is mostly woods with a big open field, which is actually my favorite place to shoot. Last weekend we had a huge Halloween party, and during the day before everyone started drinking/partying, we had a few people come over with their guns, and we set up a Zombie Gun Run. We had some custom made, life-size zombie targets set up in random places, and some of them would pop up & down, or move from left to right and varying speeds, to make it more difficult. It was hella fun. And we actually made about 300$ off it, charging people 5$ to come and do the run. SO anyways, my point being, even tho your right, and it is only money, as a College Student/Musician, I have very little money to spend on such expensive ammo that I would only use for target shooting. Like I said, for a box of 200 Rounds of the 350g FMJ SBR rounds, it's 400$, which is so ****ing expensive !

Last edited by Fates_Enemy; 10-29-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have had my 458 Socom since Obama got emacultated. I have killed over 200 hogs with it. I do not think there is a better close range hog sledge hammer made. I like the 300 Barnes TTSX and the Remington 405 gr. JSP. You can shoot a hog at just about any angle and take him out. I have an RRA upper and it shoots great.
If your looking for a gun that will kill large beast then this is it. If your looking for a gun that people will ask what the hell are you shooting, then this is it, but if your looking for a gun to punch paper at a range this aint it. Get your selph a good 5.56 and a couple thousand rds and go have fun or maybe a 6.8. The ammo for the 6.8 can be found for $15.00+. The SSA 85gr Barnes TSX bullet leaves my 16" barrel at 3000 fps and it will take a hog out.
Here is a couple pics of my Socom and a satisfied customer.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That is a beast!! Nice rifle, too!!

How did it taste?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I dont know you would have to ask the yotes and buzzards. It must have been good they were all gone in a day.
I only eat the ones that weigh less than a 100 lbs.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

here is my socom:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...