Upper Reccomendation? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper Reccomendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
jg3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A have an AP upper, it is very nice. It mated with my RRA lower great. The laser engraved flag on the top rail is a nice touch too

Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
BTI

I have an AP upper & really happy with it. Not the best picture but here it is below

image-2010974948.jpg  

Old 03-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #13

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would skip the ones you mentioned and look into a BCM, PSA, or LMT. BCM being the best of the 3 IMO.

BCM:
$399 - upper
$139 - BCG
$30 - Magpul MOE HG

I also recommend a mid-length over carbine gas system.

Come down to Wichita, I'll let you have a go at a BCM.

BravoSierra, think BravoCharlieMike. You'll be glad you did.

Besides adding the charging handle I'd get the lightweight midlength upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure if this would be in your price range but it's a sweet set up I just built. Daniel defense upper. Adams arms mid length piston kit. Midway industry's free float hand guard and an 18 in ar stoner 1-8 twist .223/5.56 barrel.

image-1702828348.jpg   image-4242475380.jpg   image-3319614334.jpg   image-3227195032.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #15

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go with the BCM Upper, the BCM bolt, charging handle and a Midwest Industries free float rail. My Dad just went with a PSA upper for his build, so I will be interested in comparing the two.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSierra
Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go with the BCM Upper, the BCM bolt, charging handle and a Midwest Industries free float rail. My Dad just went with a PSA upper for his build, so I will be interested in comparing the two.
Can we talk rail now?

What model from MI?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
The midway free float is a bad ass set
Up. That's what I went with looks awesome. Just make just u get some rail guards to go along with it.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Can we talk rail now?

What model from MI?
Yes, let's talk rail.

MI has a drop in Gen 1 rail 2 piece on clearance for $110 and a free float of the same for for $135. I also have had my eye on the YHM diamond lightweight as well. I have kinda steered away from that as install seems to require removing the front sight post. Not sure if this requires special tools or not. Any major difference between the two? Looking to mount a flashlight and grip as accessories when done. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewldevil1

The midway free float is a bad ass set
Up. That's what I went with looks awesome. Just make just u get some rail guards to go along with it.
Did you go 2 piece drop in or the single piece? Which gen? It sounds like the new ones are gen 2, but I did not notice a huge difference.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:

Yes, let's talk rail.

MI has a drop in Gen 1 rail 2 piece on clearance for $110 and a free float of the same for for $135. I also have had my eye on the YHM diamond lightweight as well. I have kinda steered away from that as install seems to require removing the front sight post. Not sure if this requires special tools or not. Any major difference between the two? Looking to mount a flashlight and grip as accessories when done. Any thoughts or recommendations?
I can promise you that if you added another $50 to the $135 you priced the MI rail at you can have something much more solid and lighter to boot.

Look into the Troy and Samson tube rails.

If you're wanting a quad rail Centurion makes a high quality rail. Troy and Samson make a good quad as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.