Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper Reccomendation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Upper Reccomendation?

I decided I would take the plunge and start working on building an AR. My goal was to build a gun that I could shoot for fun by keep by my bed at night for home defense. I told myself I have $900 to get the whole project done. So far I have managed to get the parts I want for pretty reasonable prices.

$50 PSA Lower
$25 FFL
$50 CMMG Lower Parts Kit
$100 MOE FDE Stock, Buffer, Buffer Spring, MOE Grip and MOE Carbine Handguard
$100 - 10 FDE PMAG 30 with Window (the afghan dust was free)
$325 Total as of today

All parts are assembled and looking great. The next step is the upper. I have done quite a bit of research and read the AR starter guide (which was very helpful) and from what it can tell, it makes the most sense to buy a fully assembled upper. With that said, I have between $500 and $600 to spend. The problem is, I am overwhelmed with brands and options. Carbine, Mid-length, Gas, Piston, Gas Block, etc. I have decided on a mid length gas system and a 16 inch barrel. I realize the hand guard I have wont fit, which is okay.

DPMS? Rock River? CMMG? (I know these would all be basic packages at my price point, and I am okay with that for now, as I will upgrade when more $ comes in.)

So the question is, does anyone have an upper within this price point that they recommend? They all look good on the websites, and I have a feeling most are, however I would like to get a recommendation from people who actually have them or have experience with them.

Thanks
B

Last edited by BravoSierra; 03-09-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 458

PSA Mid length upper with a hammer forged barrel. One of the best values on the market today.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

Last edited by Gatoragn; 03-09-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would skip the ones you mentioned and look into a BCM, PSA, or LMT. BCM being the best of the 3 IMO.

BCM:
$399 - upper
$139 - BCG
$30 - Magpul MOE HG

I also recommend a mid-length over carbine gas system.

Come down to Wichita, I'll let you have a go at a BCM.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-09-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
PSA Mid length upper with a hammer forged barrel. One of the best values on the market today.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html
I was about to go this route last night, made it to the cart and everything until I realized PSA does not take AMEX. I have $250 of my "gun fund" on an AMEX gift card. I understand why they don't, but unfortunately it cost them a sale.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would skip the ones you mentioned and look into a BCM, PSA, or LMT. BCM being the best of the 3 IMO.

BCM:
$399 - upper
$139 - BCG
$30 - Magpul MOE HG

I also recommend a mid-length over carbine gas system.

Come down to Wichita, I'll let you have a go at a BCM.
Do I need a charging handle with it as well? I spent a few years in Wichita when I was really young. I have a lot of good friends down that way, I might take you up on that one of these days!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #6

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Check out this link I think all of these uppers come with bolt, bolt carrier, & charging handle.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom223.aspx

Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSierra View Post
Do I need a charging handle with it as well? I spent a few years in Wichita when I was really young. I have a lot of good friends down that way, I might take you up on that one of these days!
I forgot the CH. Add $20 to the above prices. Still you're getting an awesome, top of the line upper. I know it's not a huge deal but you'll also get swag out your rear-end.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSierra View Post
I was about to go this route last night, made it to the cart and everything until I realized PSA does not take AMEX. I have $250 of my "gun fund" on an AMEX gift card. I understand why they don't, but unfortunately it cost them a sale.
Use it to buy a Visa gift card.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn

Use it to buy a Visa gift card.
Mr. Genius over here. That's a great idea.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #10

From the sound of things, you are doing a true AR build/assembly, so I would assume you are looking for a stripped upper. Have you tried looking at the Aero Precision uppers? From what I've seen they are very good quality and the reviews I've read are outstanding. I personally don't have an AP upper, but I do have an AP lower. The fit and finished are excellent, and mated up with my Noveske upper perfectly. Here's a link...http://www.surplusammo.com/stripped-uppers/

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army