Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper/Lower reciever question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dunerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 8,481
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhog View Post
Any particular reason for your choices?
Price! Plus I am not sure whether I want to buy a complete upper or build one.

This, of course; will be after I get the Model 27 or Model 28 Patrolman .357
__________________

People get the government they deserve.

dunerunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jo da Plumbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,754
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhog View Post
I need a little help, I am planning on building an AR. Would it make difference to use a miss matched upper/lower or a matched set such as Wilson Combat.
The colt ARs use a larger pin size so you can not mix match Colt parts. Other then that your OK. I built a lower on a Spikes receiver then put a Stag 6.8mm upper on it.
__________________
Quote:

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Jo da Plumbr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,191
Liked 5314 Times on 2774 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
The colt ARs use a larger pin size so you can not mix match Colt parts. Other then that your OK. I built a lower on a Spikes receiver then put a Stag 6.8mm upper on it.
you can if you have an offset front take down pin if your colt has the larger front pin. i used one when i was using my sp1 lower for my 45acp upper
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,473
Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Default

Recent Colts should have standard pin holes, what a mess that was!

Otherwise most uppers and lowers will function together. Fit and finish might be a slight issue.

__________________
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Converse,TX
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Price! Plus I am not sure whether I want to buy a complete upper or build one.

This, of course; will be after I get the Model 27 or Model 28 Patrolman .357
OK, I think that I will start a new thread shortly explaining just what my intensions are but first, I need to do a little more reaserch then I will explain my idea of a perfect or almost perfect AR build.
__________________
jhog is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

The guys have pretty much got you covered.

Old Colts used a larger size pin set ( like .250" or close to it), while the rest of the industry went with a more standard .154"

Today's receivers, if made here in the US and are not made by Cleetus' Tire Shop and AR Outlet, are all pretty much standard and go together without much trouble.

If you have a little rattle between the upper and lower, there are two products that help that issue. One is the Accu-Wedge, which I believe in as a very cheap (around $3.00) fix if people would just take the time to inspect it when they clean their weapon and see if it shows sign of wear. Being made of rubberized/plastic, it can see wear and tear from multiple takedowns and 1,000's of rounds, but I have never seen one fail personally.

The other is a Take Down pin that Brownell's sells that does the same thing, but it's more expensive. It's also more of a permanent solution. I don't have the model number, but Google Accu-Wedge and there will be a link to this pin that is supposedly "light years' ahead of it. I have never personally used it.

I have AR's with Olympic lowers, one DPMS lower and uppers from DPMS, some name that escapes me but is a lower end brand, and a new LaRue Stealth. I have ZERO issues with match up and all my uppers will mate with my lowers without issue.

As long as you go with a known commodity, I think you will be fine. The lower is merely a housing for the FCG and is not really going to affect your ultimate accuracy. That is all on the upper, which is the more crucial of the build process.

JD

__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Converse,TX
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The guys have pretty much got you covered.

Old Colts used a larger size pin set ( like .250" or close to it), while the rest of the industry went with a more standard .154"

Today's receivers, if made here in the US and are not made by Cleetus' Tire Shop and AR Outlet, are all pretty much standard and go together without much trouble.

If you have a little rattle between the upper and lower, there are two products that help that issue. One is the Accu-Wedge, which I believe in as a very cheap (around $3.00) fix if people would just take the time to inspect it when they clean their weapon and see if it shows sign of wear. Being made of rubberized/plastic, it can see wear and tear from multiple takedowns and 1,000's of rounds, but I have never seen one fail personally.

The other is a Take Down pin that Brownell's sells that does the same thing, but it's more expensive. It's also more of a permanent solution. I don't have the model number, but Google Accu-Wedge and there will be a link to this pin that is supposedly "light years' ahead of it. I have never personally used it.

I have AR's with Olympic lowers, one DPMS lower and uppers from DPMS, some name that escapes me but is a lower end brand, and a new LaRue Stealth. I have ZERO issues with match up and all my uppers will mate with my lowers without issue.

As long as you go with a known commodity, I think you will be fine. The lower is merely a housing for the FCG and is not really going to affect your ultimate accuracy. That is all on the upper, which is the more crucial of the build process.

JD
Thanx, that helped alot. Now for one final question. I can't seem to find a good upper and lower parts kit. Can anyone give me good info on this?
__________________
jhog is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squirrel_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rocklin,California
Posts: 1,135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Do your research online. There are plenty of vendors that sell complete uppers in whatever flavbor you want. You need to make a decision on what you are going to do with the rifle first. Parts kits can be bought or ordered through your local gun shop.

__________________
Squirrel_Slayer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Good Uppers:

BCM
Daniel Defence
Noveske
Colt
Spikes
Knights Armament
LMT
LWRC

__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Squirrel_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rocklin,California
Posts: 1,135
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I've had good luck with Doublestars so far.

__________________
Squirrel_Slayer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.22 caliber belt fed upper for M11 smg lower? Takk Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 0 08-24-2010 05:39 AM
AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper Cnynrat AR-15 Discussion 3 05-27-2009 03:52 AM
upper and lower recievers lasherb1 AR-15 Discussion 13 03-03-2008 08:01 PM