Upper build help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upper build help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Upper build help

Hey guys, I am going to build an upper for my AR. Now this will be my first upper build so I will be asking for a lot of help in the meantime.

First the upper I am looking at is the PSA upper.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/upper-receivers/complete-upper-receiver.html

The barrel I was looking at is the Spike's 16" cold hammer forged mid length gas, and its chrome lined. It's also MP and HP tested.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45463/Product/AR-15-M16-FN-COLD-HAMMER-FORGED-BARRELS

If you guys have any recomendations or suggestions or something else I should look at, please let me know. I will ask for suggestions on the other parts later.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My personal experience with Spike's barrels is that they make the gas port too large. Good if all you plan to shoot is weak underpowered ammo but it definately overgasses the system. Id look elsewhere.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Hey Tikki, which barrel would you recommend? I've been looking at some but I didn't know about that. Now I know, thanks.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Can the over gasing be counteracted by a heavier buffer?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerry
Can the over gasing be counteracted by a heavier buffer?
Generally, yes but it can be an expensive trial and error process. Best to go with another brand if its a known issue.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Oversizing the gas port has one advantage. It will cycle weak underpowered ammo. Since all the local ranges by me don't allow the use of steel core, I never get to shoot the cheap stuff, ie wolf tula herter's etc. So no real benefit for me. Ymmv.

Now, once th port is oversized there's nogoing back unless you get an adjustable gas block. It creates more force driving he bcg. More force means more wear and tear on the internals. Thing concievably break earlier. You can bandaid it by using a heavier buffer and spring rates. But this changes the timing of your gas system and slows down your follow up shots, and keep in mind the same force is still applied, so it doesn't change the fact that your parts will wear faster. Ever think way Spikes ships all their uppers and rifles with their st-t2 heavy buffers? Well its kuz they over gas their systems.....

Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLonzo View Post
Hey Tikki, which barrel would you recommend? I've been looking at some but I didn't know about that. Now I know, thanks.
Bcm supplies good milspec type barrels i highly suspect they source them from FN. Rra mainly uses wilson barrels great for accuracy builds. Or if your going precision order a custom barrel from someone like krieger or white oak

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone use an adjustable gas block? What are some pros and cons? What should be looked and when looking for one?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #9

More moving parts making it inherently more unreliable. I'm considering one for range/precision build. Being able to tune your gas system sounds like fun, but potentially a big headache >.<

Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLonzo View Post
I ordered a CL, CHF, barrel from PSA to use with my PSA stripped upper, PSA stripped lower and PSA lower parts kit. I ordered the BCG from Bravo Co.

I believe PSA sources their barrels from FN, also.