You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by veskeshootr View Post
You will find that a lot of people have a lot of "opinions". In my experience that's all they are, opinions. Most have read this or that on the internetz and that's the gospel. Any of your top mfg's will make a gun that the average man will never wear out... The average person shoots 500 rounds or less thru their AR. Hell, I think a Hesse will run for 500 rounds. Lol. Bushmasters are notoriously overgassed and I can tell you of a few of them that went over 15,000 rounds before any major problems. One of them was mine. True it was a 20" and they are softer but non the less a Bushmaster. Lugs cracked off my bolt somewhere between 15k and 15,500. There were OK when I got to the range and not OK when she jammed up on me.

Oh to be able to buy the old south African battle packs again...
You're new here so don't know but you can take it to the bank that when purehavoc says something like his Spikes is slightly overgassed, his opinion likely is based on lots of rounds downrange.

I didn't see any wild claims here as you implied.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. Being that this is my first build and since I already have a spikes lower, I think I want to build all spikes. The other upper I think I may want is a BCM.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #13

Liked 1181 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimis View Post
Thanks for the input. Being that this is my first build and since I already have a spikes lower, I think I want to build all spikes. The other upper I think I may want is a BCM.
The spikes will be a fine upper . I prefer a over gassed rifle that I can tune down if needed . It makes them reliable with all ammo out there . Quentin's right , I have sent a lot of lead down range and never a issue with the spikes upper . I just wish I could find the time to put more lead down range this season . Its been a flop this season with working weekends . I expect to start getting some range time soon and lots of it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a Spike's rifle (carbine) and it shoots all ammo just fine all day long. You will be happy with their products.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #15

Liked 388 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Consider me a fan of Spike's products when it comes to quality:cost ratio. They offer good stuff at a fair price.

But I'm a slightly bigger fan of BCM, PSA, and Daniel Defense. Just personal preference. If I'm building your gun...I think Spike's is a perfectly reasonable option, but I would tend to lean in the direction of a BCM, PSA, or (on the rare occasion you can land one) an AIM Surplus upper with DD barrel/bcg/handguard. The AIM/DD uppers are some of the best deals out there, which is why they're almost impossible to come by of late.

At this moment my advice to anyone composing a build is simple: Do your homework and take your time. There are good deals today. And there will be tomorrow, and eleven weeks from now as well. Figure out what you really want, and have the patience and persistance to get it at a fair price. With a little research and patience, I believe you can have exactly what you want at a very fair price.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

You're new here so don't know but you can take it to the bank that when purehavoc says something like his Spikes is slightly overgassed, his opinion likely is based on lots of rounds downrange.

I didn't see any wild claims here as you implied.
Quentin,
I was not referring to purehavoc at all, none what so ever. The op asked a question and I was trying to help out.
Now for the next part of your statement.
Are you considering 15K rounds as a "wild claim"?

Your right, I am new....to this forum. So that immediately means that I have no clue what I am talking about . So I guess from now on I will just read thru and not help anyone else out.

It blows my mind when people immediately discredit you because of your post count.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #17

Liked 1181 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

I dont get all bent out of shape on much , Im a pretty easy going person thats just me . I run my fair share of ammo every year with a total round count of some where between 12000-16000 rds , and I know there are people out there that run 10X of that . It doesnt take long to run alot of ammo thru a AR so I dont see any wild claims out there , hell I ran over 8000 rds thru one particular AR last year doing some testing on it and it never failed and had never been cleaned since the initial outing . 15,000 rds is not a wild claim in my book but there are people that may never run that much ammo in their entire life time . Oh by the way WELCOME to the forum

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #18

Liked 3554 Times on 2080 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Quentin,
I was not referring to purehavoc at all, none what so ever. The op asked a question and I was trying to help out.

Your right, I am new....to this forum. So that immediately means that I have no clue what I am talking about . So I guess from now on I will just read thru and not help anyone else out.

It blows my mind when people immediately discredit you because of your post count.
Quentin is pretty low key and regular around here. I don't think he was trying to discredit you by your low post count. I think he just interpreted your post as being directed at purhavoc. In which case, you may not be familiar with his previous posts and the type of info he shares.

Genereally the folks on this forum are pretty easy on each other and new folks. I just see that theer is some misinterpretation going on here that was never meant to be personal or an attack. All seems to just be intended as clarification.

Welcome aboard. It's nice to get a good amount of good info from a wide variety of shooting backgrounds. we have folks who fit the "Fudd" category who are one box of ammo a year types who sight in before hunting season. we also have serious enthusiasts, competitors, gunsmiths, artisans, gun dealers, military folks, and mall ninjas. All fit into the spectrum, and all have something to contribute or take away from the forum based on the multiple roles that firearms are used in.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1718

Quote:
Quentin,

You didn't understand my post and have twisted the meaning. I try to be clear and suggest you be so as well.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You didn't understand my post and have twisted the meaning. I try to be clear and suggest you be so as well.
Quentin,
NO worries..one of the issues with a keyboard is that there is no emotion in the txt so sometimes it's hard to understand where a person is coming from.

Purehavoc and Doc.
Thanks for helping out in this, I appreciate it.

Looks like the opp got the help he was looking for so we did do some good.