upper?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default upper?

So I was able to secure a Spikes stripped lower, and was thinking about using a Spikes upper. I have been trying to research their uppers on here and other sites. I have only come across one thread that said they tend to over gas. Anyone with experience to this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I have one and its a bit over gassed , there is a reason for this it makes them more reliable with cheap under powered Russian ammo . You can help fix this with a heavier buffer. Dont get me wrong , Spikes makes good products but I wouldnt trade any of my PSAs for another Spikes . I might suggest you take a Look at a BCM if you can find one in stock or Palmetto and see if they have anything you like . Neither will be under gassed or over gassed

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
monteros Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Really wanted to stick with a Spikes upper to go with the Spikes lower. Will over gassing cause wear or damage or anything else?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Spikes will be ok if that's what you want. Look at their midlength, it should soften the action somewhat.

Sadly, many manufactures don't bother with understanding gas port size but BCM does. PSA often uses FN barrels as does Spikes but they could have the gas port done differently. (I don't know that for a fact though.) You want the port big enough but not so big the AR is overgassed. It's more likely with carbon length gas, so think about middys.

If you go 16" carbine gas think H2 buffer or that heavier Spikes powder filled buffer. T2? Personally I'd go H2 with standard solid weights. Maybe even H3 if way overgassed.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 06-28-2013 at 09:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimis View Post
Really wanted to stick with a Spikes upper to go with the Spikes lower. Will over gassing cause wear or damage or anything else?
I believe it may cause accelerated wear especially to the bolt.
A solution is to get a midlenght upper like these affordable examples:

http://www.jsesurplus.com/del-ton16hbarcompleteupper-1-1-1-2.aspx

or this one:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIM16GOV&name=AIM+16%22+CHF+Mid length+MOE+.223%2f5.56+URG&groupid=586

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #6

You will be fine. Your worrying about something that you should not be. Spikes makes great stuff and it will serve you well you do not need to be worries about being over gassed. If you that concerned with it you can put on a adjustable gas block and gas it down to the point where the gun will just barely cycle, this also reduces felt recoil. However if you change ammo you will need to readjust it.
Overgassed means they drilled the gas port hole in the barrel larger than it needs to be. In my experience an this makes for a gun that will run just about any ammo reliably. I have actually opened up that hole for guys that had issues running wolf ammo. Once the hole is opened up they run like a top.
Nothing is going to wear out prematurely on you because of this. The average Bolt is good for around 15,000 rounds and the average barrel is good for around 30,000. Your supposed to replace buffer springs at around 5,000 and gas rings too. I have had gas rings last 3,000 and other go as high as 7,000. My point is stuff wears out, ar's are a mechanical device and stuff has to be replaced....if your a shooter. Read the article by LuckyGunner labs about the differences in ammo. This should shed some light for ya.

In the world of AR-15's Quality is worth the price.
Molon Labe
Veritas Aequitas

Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

We had one AR go beyond 8000 rds on one set of gas rings and was still running fine . Keep it lubed well and parts last a lot longer

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. Guess I will stick with a spikes upper

Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #9

You will find that a lot of people have a lot of "opinions". In my experience that's all they are, opinions. Most have read this or that on the internetz and that's the gospel. Any of your top mfg's will make a gun that the average man will never wear out... The average person shoots 500 rounds or less thru their AR. Hell, I think a Hesse will run for 500 rounds. Lol. Bushmasters are notoriously overgassed and I can tell you of a few of them that went over 15,000 rounds before any major problems. One of them was mine. True it was a 20" and they are softer but non the less a Bushmaster. Lugs cracked off my bolt somewhere between 15k and 15,500. There were OK when I got to the range and not OK when she jammed up on me.

Oh to be able to buy the old south African battle packs again...

In the world of AR-15's Quality is worth the price.
Molon Labe
Veritas Aequitas

Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Overgassed systems, will allow you to run underpowered ammo, like Wolf Tula etc.

Undergassed systems don't run at all.

Between the two, overgassed is better, but, it will beat up your gas rings and bolt and springs a bit more.

But at the end of the day, I'd prefer a little overgassing to a little under......