Upgrades - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Aside from a sling which is truly functional and many would say mandatory on a long arm, offensive or defensive, there really isn't anything wrong with an AR as is. Extended this and oversize that doesn't do anything to make a shooter more proficient or hone his or her skills. Learn your nomenclature and get fluid with operating the weapon as it is.

Not trying to sound like a d**k, but even a few small parts can add up to a few hundred rounds of ammo. Put a few thousand rounds through your rifle first, then decide if you want to change things for functionality reasons or for fun and to tinker on your weapon.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Aside from a sling which is truly functional and many would say mandatory on a long arm, offensive or defensive, there really isn't anything wrong with an AR as is. Extended this and oversize that doesn't do anything to make a shooter more proficient or hone his or her skills. Learn your nomenclature and get fluid with operating the weapon as it is.

Not trying to sound like a d**k, but even a few small parts can add up to a few hundred rounds of ammo. Put a few thousand rounds through your rifle first, then decide if you want to change things for functionality reasons or for fun and to tinker on your weapon.

Not entirely true. I am prior service, 11B, and have put countless rounds down range with all sorts of small arms from M4s M16A4s Mk19s SAWs 240Bs AT4s M9s and so on. I can tell you that small improvements like the Magpul BAD lever makes clearing malfunctions and mag changes much easier and faster. I do agree that muscle memory is a must however but a $28 level makes a big difference. A good comp/brake/fh is a great investment that will deff make a shooter more proficient.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #13

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Still, I think what jeepcreep927 said is mostly true. Sometimes it's best to go with "good enough" and spend more money on training and ammo. Of course good enough means just that - it doesn't mean crap parts.

Another thing about enhanced/upgraded parts is if somehow you're forced to use a stock gun you really start fumbling around reaching for something that isn't there.

But what's important is do what's right for YOU.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #14

I am currently an 11b, and have used an M16/M4 daily since I was 20 years old and I am now 34. No amount of widgets make the operation any different, just slightly more convenient if you want to pick one up with "virgin hands" and manipulate it. I still stand by learning to use it as it was designed.

There are after market parts that do make sense, I agree. Right out of the gate they don't offer anything the spec parts don't for someone who doesn't have enough range time with the weapon to make an informed decision based on an insurmountable flaw in the original equipment, because there aren't any.

My basic point is I wouldn't recommend taking it out of the box and immediately start swapping out pieces because something looks like a good idea in a catalog or on a website run by a company that wants your money. Get some trigger time first and save the money for the ONE thing that WILL make a better shooter: ammo. But as Quentin stated, paraphrased and edited, chrome it and hang fuzzy dice off it if that makes you happy.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 07-24-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #15

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Or you could also just add the latch onto your existing handle:

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Charging Handles | Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch
and save a few more $$'s
If you do decide to replace the latch, zip-lock bag the assembly when you do. That, or buy an extra latch spring because you will launch that sucker without the bag!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #16

No I completely agree JeepCreep, and since I've been home in the past couple of days I've been to the range twice and put about 300-400 rounds through it.

I'm definitely trying to get as much rangetime with it as possible, but when I wasn't at the range and had some free time, I've just been trying to see what is out there. Being my first gun, let alone AR-15, I wasn't quite sure what could be done with it.

A sling, grip, and probably the medium-sized charging handle will most likely be the things I will be getting in the future. While it might not make me more accurate, its something that will continue to help me get more familiar with my AR-15 and also are relatively inexpensive compared to Optics and such.

My plan was to really wait until I could get good groupings with Iron Sights, and THEN begin to look at something more expensive like an ACOG or EoTech.

But again I completely understand your point, and am somewhat doing that, just looking for some relatively cheap upgrades to fill my free time

Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I am currently an 11b, and have used an M16/M4 daily since I was 20 years old and I am now 34. No amount of widgets make the operation any different, just slightly more convenient if you want to pick one up with "virgin hands" and manipulate it. I still stand by learning to use it as it was designed.

There are after market parts that do make sense, I agree. Right out of the gate they don't offer anything the spec parts don't for someone who doesn't have enough range time with the weapon to make an informed decision based on an insurmountable flaw in the original equipment, because there aren't any.

My basic point is I wouldn't recommend taking it out of the box and immediately start swapping out pieces because something looks like a good idea in a catalog or on a website run by a company that wants your money. Get some trigger time first and save the money for the ONE thing that WILL make a better shooter: ammo. But as Quentin stated, paraphrased and edited, chrome it and hang fuzzy dice off it if that makes you happy.
Just my thoughts.
So being able to reload faster and start putting rounds down range faster doesnt make a shooter better? If I slap a mag in w/ my left hand then have to activate the bolt release then reposition my hand towards the VFG or AFG or whatever thats 3 motions with one hand I have to make as apposed to slapping the mag in w/ my left hitting the BAD lever with my trigger finger while Im repositioning my left hand. The BAD lever doesnt "look like a good idea" it is a great idea. Look at some of the ARs used by "proffesionals" and youll see a large percentage of them using the lever. Id say the information is already out there in order to make an informed decision. The OP asked for suggestions to help w/ functionality. What single function is more important then being able to get back in the fight as soon as possible? Its not a matter of convienance. Being a better shooter isnt all about shot grouping. I dont have a single item on any AR that isnt there for function purposes. Im not a JC Whitney kinda guy.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #18

I wasn't bagging on your personal choices. I simply said, and am saying it for the third time, spend the money on ammo that you know you will use, not on things that you might like, until there is a need or perceived need to swap out parts. OP asked for opinions. I guess yours is more "right" than mine. Good day.

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 07-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't bagging on your personal choices. I simply said, and am saying it for the third time, spend the money on ammo that you know you will use, not on things that you might like, until there is a need or perceived need to swap out parts. OP asked for opinions. I guess yours is more "right" than mine. Good day.
My opinions hold no more weight then anyones. I am pulling from my personal experience and wish someone would have directed me towards the BAD lever long ago.