Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Updrades to make an AR more reliable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just picked up a brand new DPMS Oracle.
I really want to personalize it with tacticool stuff but first I want to make it as reliable as it can be. Any suggestions on what I should do?
I am an AR noob.
Thanks

I just noticed I spelt upgrades wrong. My bad

Last edited by irockglock; 06-20-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to say much but I think that you will find that the things that will make your rifle more "reliable" will probably cost a little money, in saying that you may have been better of getting an over all more " reliable" rifle not trying to discourage the new rifle I think it's great I would say you may want to look at a new bolt and/or carrier such as a dd or BCM I'm not really sure I'm qualified to say much these guys know much more than me! Congrats on new gun!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by irockglock View Post
Just picked up a brand new DPMS Oracle.
I really want to personalize it with tacticool stuff but first I want to make it as reliable as it can be. Any suggestions on what I should do?
I am an AR noob.
Thanks
Shooting it a few hundred times to get a feel for it and to diagnose any performance issues is the first step. If there are no feeding, ejecting, or cycling issues you're good to go. Most reliability issues will involve feeding (mags) or cycling (gas system and correct buffer). Stocks, foregrigs, handguards and optics have little or no impact on mechanical performance and reliability.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

IROC,
You rather have a good dependable AR or you do not. Mostly depends on manufacturer and quality of parts and production procedures. In general if a company builds a good AR and you keep the bolt carrier and bolt lubed properly it should be reliable. You should not have to do anything to a good AR to make it dependable. If it isn't it needs to be returned to the manufacturer. Unfortunately some are not of the quality of others.
But the Magazine is the number one cause of AR malfunctions!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I can only recommend some good lube, a little grease, a few mag and a lot of ammo (tula, wolf pmc, m193,etc ).

Then go out and has yu sum fun.

Ps more pron.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #6

Liked 1654 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

I have found that the accessory that does the most to keep an AR running is a good cleaning kit.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the great opinions and info y'all.
I haven't shot it yet , so I'll go do that first. And add some iron sights :/

Has anyone here tried the EXO Nickel Boron Bolt Carriers?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #8

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by irockglock View Post
Thanks for the great opinions and info y'all.
I haven't shot it yet , so I'll go do that first. And add some iron sights :/

Has anyone here tried the EXO Nickel Boron Bolt Carriers?
If u keep it lubed well ,and clean it every 1000 rds that's a expensive unneeded item

Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #9

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

If you run 500 rds thru it flawlessly like it is , use you money for a nice optic of some sort and don't fix what isn't broke .

Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Id check the staking on the castle nut and gas key to start. Either of those come loose and your taking a little break.

I wouldnt worry to much about over cleaning. I rarely do more than wipe mine off then relube.