Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Update on bolt carrier stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Update on bolt carrier stuck

bushmaster backed up their product and sent me back with no questions asked a brand new upper receiver. wolf ammo will not void warranty so all the questions asked about wolf ammo voiding warranty is false. just wanted to share my experience with everybody. thanks for everybody's concern.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Glad to hear! Thanks for the update

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great news. Bushmaster takes care of their customers, and pretty efficiently, too.

As for the steel casings, don't believe everything you hear or read on the interwebz or at the local shops and ranges. I've shot Wolf through my BM, Rock River, DPMS, LMT, a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, even a Noveske, and have yet to have anything get stuck or melt into my chamber.

Just make sure you clean and lube after any shooting sessions and you'll be fine. I usually have a Hoppe's Bore-Snake along with me when I go shooting. Give it a couple squirts of CLP or whatever your flavor of cleaning/lube/protection is, and drag in through the barrel when you are done shooting at the range or wherever. That normally gives it a decent clean-up, at least until I get it home and give it a thorough cleaning. And that way, no chance that anything could possibly melt and gunk up your chamber.

But, great news on your Bushy.

Slo

Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Good info, I too believe Wolf and other steel cased "modern" ammo get a bad rap from ammo snobs.

It's cheap and works in my 223 and 7.62 sticks just fine for plinkin'.

Now if the complaints come from reloaders, then that is a legitimate gripe. Even some of the Eastern-Bloc brass cased ammo is non-reloadable due to the use of Berdan primers.

The only other down-side I see is many of the ranges won't let you shoot steel cased ammo so the greedy bastards won't need to sort their brass when they sell it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Older, lacquer-coated Wolf ammo was a problem; more recent, poly-coated Wolf isn't.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I guess Cane can call me an "Ammo Snob". I have never, nor will I ever shoot steel cased ammo through my AR's. IMHO the AR was designed for brass cased ammo and that is what it will be fed, period. My AK and SKS were designed for steel cased ammo and that is what they will eat, when not feeding upon my reloads.

I did note that Bushmaster specifically says in the owners manual that steel cased ammo is OK. They do advise against aluminum cased ammo (Blazer) in their pistol caliber carbines.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I guess Cane can call me an "Ammo Snob". I have never, nor will I ever shoot steel cased ammo through my AR's. IMHO the AR was designed for brass cased ammo and that is what it will be fed, period. My AK and SKS were designed for steel cased ammo and that is what they will eat, when not feeding upon my reloads.

I did note that Bushmaster specifically says in the owners manual that steel cased ammo is OK. They do advise against aluminum cased ammo (Blazer) in their pistol caliber carbines.
i put 90 rounds through my gun yesterday with no problems. it could be me or my lack of experience or both but i feel like the brass cycles faster than the steel stuff. it could be me i dont know but thats what it seemed like.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #8

Did Bushmaster diagnose why the carrier got stuck in the first place?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post
Did Bushmaster diagnose why the carrier got stuck in the first place?
bushmaster just said that it was caused by a stuck wolf round. the ring on the backside of the shell where the extractor catches was peeled back. it was if the extractor couldn't get a good bite to extract the round. they did not say specifically it was because of the wolf round, just that the round was stuck in the chamber. they gave me a new receiver and new barrel extension. they did not leave any info saying not to use wolf ammo either. they were not too specific but i think its the ammo i was using. it had to of expanded to not be able to extract, and for the bolt to be stuck. they gave me a new receiver because the finish was peeling off.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #10

Do you know if the ammo you were using was the older, lacquer-coated Wolf or the newer, poly-coated Wolf? Lots of stories about the lacquer-coated stuff causing problems.