"Twist" question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > "Twist" question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1147 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Um, hope I didn't sound too much like a commercial......
Uh dont worry you did !!!! . Tikki's right though the PSA is a far better deal with a optic that will outlast us all . Save up a few more bills and do it right the first time

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6922 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 6661

Unless you're good enough to be a serious competitor, you won't notice any difference in accuracy.

My colt 6940 has a 1/7 twist and shoots anything from 50 to 77 grain bullets with excellent accuracy.

The S&W is a good rifle.

Welcome to the dark world of the AR-15

Once you have been seduced by the Dark Side, foreverwill it rule your destiny!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #13

Liked 1103 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
M&P >> Bush

But honestly for that amount of money get a PSA Patrol Carbine with Aimpoint Pro

Its $200 more than the ones you posted, BUT it comes with a red dot that is worth $400. Aimpoints are premium optics and this one will serve you forever. Did I mention you can leave the red dot on for over 4 years on a single battery? Or about the, wait for it, LEGENDARY, reliability of battle proven Aimpoints? Its really a good deal. Its a middy gas, C158 bolt, chromelined barreled, and gots the proper specs. Scrounge up a few more bills, and just add a sling, mags and ammo and you're golden.

The S&W sport is a good buy at $700, not really at $900.
It's a really good commercial however! The M&P Sport definitely is better than the Bushhamster but that PSA has deal written all over it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 286 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Folks buy 1:7 mostly because it's "milspec". And they buy 1:9 mostly because it's what came on their affordable AR, and they gave no thought to twist.

In truth, both 1:7 and 1:9 are generally fine and pragmatic options that will not cripple anyone's gun. And AR twist rate is often an overvalued feature. About 98% of the ammo fired through ARs is somewhere between 55-64gr...right in the 1:9 wheelhouse, and does well enough in a 1:7. But this much is also true, IMO: 1:8 twist rules. Why? Because it shoots just about every bullet an AR shooter would stock, and really well.

If I were to start a higher end AR company tomorrow, 1:8 twist would be 'the standard'...whether a 7", 16", or 24" barrel. It's just a happy medium that performs well across the board. And honestly, it's probably what "milspec" ought to be.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #15

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yep I agree, every 5.56 should be 1x8. That is unless you are planning on shooting 36 or 40 grain varmiter rounds.

One of many things why Milspec isn't necessarily always the best option.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #16

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I agree with AgenTikki.

S&W better than Bushmaster (crotchmaster)

PSA is a better DEAL than the S&W. no cool roll mark tho...

Last edited by kryptar19; 05-20-2013 at 12:28 AM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #17

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Ohh and 1:8 is THE way to go. Best of both worlds!!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #18

Liked 1103 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 1116

I'll stick with 1:7. It's fine for 55gr and up. I shot some 52gr out of my DD barrel a couple years ago with no issues out to 100 yards and XM193 has been fine in my three 1:7s as has 55gr .223. No doubt 1:8 has a lot going for it too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazispencer View Post
I'm looking online to purchase an AR15, either Bushmaster which is 1-9" twist, or Smith & Wesson which is 1-8" twist. They're the same price @ $899. What's the difference in twist? What is twist?
a C&P from my Ar15 designers guide...

Quote:
d. Barrel Twist Rate

The twist rate of the barrel is the rate of turn the bullet will experience in a given distance. For the purposes of this article only the 223 Remington / 5.56 NATO rounds will be discussed. The information provided will prove a point which can then be applied to any of the nearly countless AR15 chamberings.

First, the twist rate, or ratio, can be defined using “1:7” as an example. What this means is the bullet will experience one complete revolution within a 7” length. Whereas a 1:9 twist rate means the bullet will experience a complete revolution within 9” of length. Which is right? They are both right depending on the needs of the user, and the intended ammunition to be shot from the barrel.

The higher the twist rate, meaning the lower the number of inches taken to complete a revolution, means the more stable the bullet will be leaving the muzzle of the barrel. However it is possible to over stabilize a bullet. For example shooting a 40 or 50 grain varmint round from a 1:7 barrel may cause the bullet to turn at such high revolutions per minute (RPM) that the copper jacket can actually be removed from the lead core. This over stabilization can cause a major loss in accuracy and a loss in ballistic performance for hunting purposes. This is why it’s important to match the barrel to the ammunition, and visa versa.

When it comes down to it, any twist rate will shoot just about any bullet, but when discussing optimization the twist rate should be matched to the ammunition you intend to shoot. The general rule of thumb used is that a 1:7 will shoot bullets in the 70 grain range the best, but will also shoot 60 grain bullets just fine and even most 50 grain bullets without any problems. 1:9 shoots varmint bullets in the 40 and 50 grain range the best, but will also shoot heavier bullets, though at longer distances the heavier bullets will become unstable and cause a loss of accuracy. 1:8 seems to be the modern trade off and is a twist rate gaining popularity. The 1:8 seems to shoot everything well. So the barrel should be matched to the bullet, and if you are not sure; you usually can’t go wrong with a 1:8.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I have a competition AR with a 1/7 twist. This barrel is designed for higher grain ammo. I have 69 grain .223, which is excellent for home defense, hunting, long distance accurate shooting and various competition scenarios. I recommend the 1/7 twist barrel for diverse situations.