You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Tumbling round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tumbling round

Is there a way to clean gas tube? Would this be a gas issue for a round to tumble at 50 yards? After 25 rounds then round started to tumble. Just cleaned and lube bcg, gas tube did look dirty and lead build up around opening, hope this fix problem. Also cleaned spring in buffer tube, could spring need replacing? There's about 8k rounds thru rifle. If you look at target at right and left top you will see round hit sideways, thanks for any input.Tumbling round - AR-15 Discussion

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4980 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 2432

jrf,

Obviously it is hard to determine on a Forum so sometimes you have to go a step at a time. So here goes!
First of all is the weapon functioning properly regarding operation?
The side strikes are not caused by the Gas Tube. I have never cleaned a gas tube in my life. And my Rock River Rifle has around 30,000 rounds through it since 2001. Yes I have rebarreld it twice as of today as I should have. But if Gas Tubes ever get carboned up or worn simple replace them. I replaced mine at about 20,000 rounds. Of course I do not abuse my rifle by overheating the barrel as some do with shooting Beta Mags in one session. Or a continuation of 30 round Mags at one session not allowing the barrel to cool.
That leads me to the next issue. Heat is the enemy of the Rifle Chambers Throat!

The first thing I would do is find a competent Armorer or Gunsmith with an AR-15 5.56/223 Throat Erosion Gauge and check the Chamber of your rifle. If the rifle has excessive throat erosion it could contribute to the problem as well as the rifling shot out from wear. But the Throat Erosion will normally be excessive before the rifling ever wears out. But due to metallurgy I have seen a few barrels with the rifling's shot out at 8,000 rounds.
Also let us know what barrel twist your rifle has! And what ammunition you are shooting. Was the ammo shot in the pictures the same brand and weight?
Because there is another cause for side strikes on a target. That is if a rifle has a 1:12 Twist Barrel and one is shooting bullets over 55gr in weight in the rifle. Example 69 grain bullets. Guaranteed Side Strikes will result! Let us know more if you can. Here is an example below.
File Type: png Bullet Stability Picture.png (187.0 KB, 22 views)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-22-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1991 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 1600

Responding to be in the loop on answers.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Art
Welcome

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”

Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6246 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 3211

A dirty gas tube is not likely to cause tumbling. Bore fouling or wear is the most likely reason, especially with heavier bullets. Clean the barrel thoroughly. Use special solvents for copper and lead, as well as carbon. Soak before brushing.

The gas tube is pretty easy to clean. Give it a blast of GunScrubber or similar degreaser, then a good blast of canned air. Or just the air. Many gunners don't even bother, unless the rifle has cycling issues. Don't grease the tube. But that's not what causes bullet tumbling.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

Ok, 1:9 twist shooting Tula then switch to brass 5.56. I know steel ammo is dirty but I clean my rifle after shooting. I did notice when cleaning bolt gas ring coming off, so I'm replacing ring and hoping this is my problem, won't be able to get to the range till Thursday or Friday will send update and thanks for the your help! This is the rifle belowTumbling round - AR-15 Discussion
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Tumbling,

Mercator has a good point! I you have not been cleaning the bore properly that can be an issue. With the Sniper Rifles we thoroughly cleaned the bores about every 6 months using Sweets 7.62 Bore Cleaner. (It has a High ammonia concentration) "DONT SNIFF IT!" It will for sure clean the bore! But there is some caution if you ever use it. 1. Read the Directions 2. Be sure there is absolutely no other solvent cleaner or anything in the bore. (Because if there is it can etch the bore!) 3. Only let it be in the bore for the specified time period. 4. Be sure it is absolutely gone from the bore. But as Merc stated a fouled bore certainly could cause your issue. And normal cleaning solvents if the bore is fouled excessively normally will not accomplish the objective easily. The Gas Ring would not have any effect on the problem. But it is good you replaced them just the same!
Let us know what happens after the thorough cleaning. To add to this post you should not have any problems regarding the rounds and your barrel twist. The 1:9 will handle rounds 55-in the low 70 grains regarding weight and shoot them very well. Could be as Mercator Stated. Is this the first time this has happened? Sounds like it is likely fouling I swear some of the cheaper ammo manufacturers uses coal dust in their powders. Which ammo was the side strikes shot with? But I still would have the throat checked on it. Just for piece of mind! And to protect the Bolt and Rifle. Keep Us Informed regarding your problem when you get back from the Range this week! We all learn from each others experiences.

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-22-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

Liked 302 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gas tubes and such have no bearing on tumbling bullets.
If your target is flapping in the breeze, hits will look like they are tumbling.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanks Sniper03 will keep all update. And this is the first time this happen going to stay away from steel ammo for a while. Prices starting to come down on brass.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

Liked 1104 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 281

My first guess is your barrel is shot.