Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Tulammo issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
There are a few things that can cause cycling issues: worn bolt rings, (I replace mine every time I go to the range. You can get them really cheap if you buy in bulk at Brownells) buffer, cleaning-too little or too much, worn disconnector spring, and really rare is a bad batch of ammo, regardless of what brand. If I have multiple fail to cycle, I look at the firearm first. Also, you may want to look at the extractor spring. I usually replace it every thousand rounds. The reason I avise people to look at the gas tube is it is really easy to get it out of alignment if the teeth on the barrel nut aren't perfectly centered, as a tooth might end up pushing the gas tube to one side or another a tiny bit, and over time the tube is bent into the shape it is pushed, so some of the gas ends up escaping. I got lucky enough to watch a barrel being installed at the Colt factory once, and the tools they have to install the barrel to prevent this from happening are amazing, and not cheap either. Anyway, enough of my rambling Once you get to know your rifle better, troubleshooting it will become second nature to you. Start with the gas system, and work your way out from there.
I don't mean for this to sound like I am slamming ARs. I really don't know that much about them, and I don't want to offend the millions of AR users and lovers, and I know they must be good weapons, but.....

I don't own an AR, never have, thought I might want one, and now I am sure I don't want one. I had no idea that there was so much to go wrong. My cheap, Romanian SAR-1, AK clone, bought in the late 90s, only stops when I run out of ammo....Troubleshooting amounts to buying more ammo. I have shot untold thousands of rounds through it, and other than dealing with nasty trigger-slap,(I fixed with a little file work and a utube video) I have never fixed, or changed anything. I clean the thing every whenever, I don't shoot corrosive ammo, so I don't worry so much about it. I am only interested in an assault weapon for fun plinking and heaven forbid for close combat that I hope and pray never happens.

What am I missing?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74
The way it looks the casings are getting stuck in the chamber and I have to yank the charging handle back very hard to extract then the next round does the same thing.
Steel cased ammo is coated with sealer to prevent rust. In a hot chamber the sealer can cause the case to get stuck. It has happened to me before and it sucks. I fired and then nothing happened. No cycle. Was very weird. So I checked and sure enough the case was lodged in the chamber. My Otis kit would not clear it. Had to borrow a Vietnam era kit from another club member to get it out. I can't begin to tell you how stuck this case was.

My range won't even sell steel cased .223 because people always have problems.

Your gun is not picky. Steel cases suck. Never buy steel case ammo for anything other than range plonking and be sure to bring a rod.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #13

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Also been told that the same thing happens as a result of the weaker metal expanding in the chamber and becoming lodged. Whatever it is the end result is case lodged in chamber = bad.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #14

Liked 153 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I don't mean for this to sound like I am slamming ARs. I really don't know that much about them, and I don't want to offend the millions of AR users and lovers, and I know they must be good weapons, but.....

I don't own an AR, never have, thought I might want one, and now I am sure I don't want one. I had no idea that there was so much to go wrong. My cheap, Romanian SAR-1, AK clone, bought in the late 90s, only stops when I run out of ammo....Troubleshooting amounts to buying more ammo. I have shot untold thousands of rounds through it, and other than dealing with nasty trigger-slap,(I fixed with a little file work and a utube video) I have never fixed, or changed anything. I clean the thing every whenever, I don't shoot corrosive ammo, so I don't worry so much about it. I am only interested in an assault weapon for fun plinking and heaven forbid for close combat that I hope and pray never happens.

What am I missing?

There is crap out there in every type of gun. The only reason you see this a lot in AR's is they are so prolific that every idiot and his inbred brother is building them, and the quality control in a lot of cases suck. There are just not as many AK builders out there, so you don't have as many examples to choose from. I have seen dudes at the range fighting their AK's all day, and not enough knowledgable people to help them out.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandMonster View Post
Steel cased ammo is coated with sealer to prevent rust. In a hot chamber the sealer can cause the case to get stuck. It has happened to me before and it sucks. I fired and then nothing happened. No cycle. Was very weird. So I checked and sure enough the case was lodged in the chamber. My Otis kit would not clear it. Had to borrow a Vietnam era kit from another club member to get it out. I can't begin to tell you how stuck this case was.

My range won't even sell steel cased .223 because people always have problems.

Your gun is not picky. Steel cases suck. Never buy steel case ammo for anything other than range plonking and be sure to bring a rod.

THIS.

Steel case ammo doesn't expand to seal the chamber like brass does. So you get more blow back around the case into the chamber. That, along with the filthy power that Tula uses combines to create extraction problems.

I had to pogo a guy's AR a couple of weeks ago down at the hunting camp to get his bolt to release, he hadn't cleaned it & was shooting Tula. I dropped the bolt on the stuck cartridge about 4 times & it still wouldn't go off. I could see the primer was dented. We had to use a cleaning rod to tap the stuck case out.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input I'm gonna try other ammo and see if any others have issues

Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #17

Liked 153 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 208

It is really rare that ammo, steel case or not, is the reason for an AR malfunction. A lot of us on this forum have AR's that will fire any brand or type, brass or steel. I'm not saying trade your AR for another one, but you might look at some of the parts mentioned before to see if that may be the problem. If you aren't shooting that much, it may be more cost effective just to switch ammo. When I was bumpfiring a lot, I was going through about 500-800 rounds in a day, so it made sense to get my gun set up to shoot steel, as it was more cost effective. I can't even afford to do that anymore (grew up, got wife, kid and grandkid).

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm gonna try some different ammo this weekend I've shot the tulammo in my Sks 40&45 pistols etc with high success. As much as I paid for my newest ar it shouldn't be picky on ammo but i dont know for sure. I haven't took the hand guard off to look at gas tube yet. Hand guard looks like a pain to loosen but will investigate ASAP I don't really rapid fire this ar More slow accurate shooting with this one. Tryin to set up for coyote hunting.