Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Tula Ammo Woes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/tula-ammo-woes-92826/)

AgentTikki 06-24-2013 09:12 PM

Tula Ammo Woes

Had a chance this weekend to get together with a few buddies and go out to the desert for a shoot.

On the table at the beginning of the day we had 10 ar15s a shotgun and and handful of handguns.

At the end of the day we had 7 ARs up and running and 3 awating surgery.

The culprit.....Tulammo.

In the first hour of shooting, a 14.5 sabre defence carbine went down with a shell casing stuck in the chamber. Also in the first hour, a brand new PSA CHF 15" carbine went down with the same problem, however this one was rescued with the help of a hammer and cleaning rod (RIP). The next victim was a 11" carbine gas Ar15 pistol about an hour later. The steel case had its lip ripped off by the extractor. The owner had a DNR order on it, so no CPR was given. The last victim was the PSA again...and again. It was revived again and again, for a total of 3 casings stuck in it. The very last time, the owner swore up and down that he'd never buy cheap @ss russian ammo again. The final body count 3 AR15s, and 1 very sad very bent cleaning rod.

A couple thousand rounds were shot that day, a majority of which was probably Tulammo. I didn't run much of it, but any and every problem that came about was with it. I had M855, M193, AE.223, PMC Xtac, MFS 55 fmj and match Fiocchi 69 gr. I didn't get any stuck in my chambers. (thank goodness) :rolleyes:

I guess the moral of the story is...........bring a couple cheap wooden dowels with you if you run russian steel case ammo.

Onna side note, I also ran .223 MFS 55 grain fmj and could not get it to cycle in my 18", rifle gas, more than 2-3 round even with the gas block fully open. I'm guessing not enough oomph to cycle the bcg with a large gas system. My 18"er ran AE and Fiocchi 69 grain just fine. My 16" middy DD barrel with FA BCG ran the MFS just fine for at least 3 mags.

There were plenty of guns to go around, and good friends to trying to help with one another. All in all a great day, only 90 ish degrees in the desert with a nice strong breeze that helped us keep cool.

Good times.:D

fuldagapflieger 06-24-2013 09:24 PM

Learned my lesson on my AR's as well....Tula, Silver Bear, other brown paper wrapped metal or other by-products go into my AK with nary a hiccup. AR's get Federal, Rem and yes, even Georgia Arms brass cases.

Fathead00 06-24-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Had a chance this weekend to get together with a few buddies and go out to the desert for a shoot.

On the table at the beginning of the day we had 10 ar15s a shotgun and and handful of handguns.

At the end of the day we had 7 ARs up and running and 3 awating surgery.

The culprit.....Tulammo.

In the first hour of shooting, a 14.5 sabre defence carbine went down with a shell casing stuck in the chamber. Also in the first hour, a brand new PSA CHF 15" carbine went down with the same problem, however this one was rescued with the help of a hammer and cleaning rod (RIP). The next victim was a 11" carbine gas Ar15 pistol about an hour later. The steel case had its lip ripped off by the extractor. The owner had a DNR order on it, so no CPR was given. The last victim was the PSA again...and again. It was revived again and again, for a total of 3 casings stuck in it. The very last time, the owner swore up and down that he'd never buy cheap @ss russian ammo again. The final body count 3 AR15s, and 1 very sad very bent cleaning rod.

A couple thousand rounds were shot that day, a majority of which was probably Tulammo. I didn't run much of it, but any and every problem that came about was with it. I had M855, M193, AE.223, PMC Xtac, MFS 55 fmj and match Fiocchi 69 gr. I didn't get any stuck in my chambers. (thank goodness) :rolleyes:

I guess the moral of the story is...........bring a couple cheap wooden dowels with you if you run russian steel case ammo.

Onna side note, I also ran .223 MFS 55 grain fmj and could not get it to cycle in my 18", rifle gas, more than 2-3 round even with the gas block fully open. I'm guessing not enough oomph to cycle the bcg with a large gas system. My 18"er ran AE and Fiocchi 69 grain just fine. My 16" middy DD barrel with FA BCG ran the MFS just fine for at least 3 mags.

There were plenty of guns to go around, and good friends to trying to help with one another. All in all a great day, only 90 ish degrees in the desert with a nice strong breeze that helped us keep cool.

Good times.:D

I've bought Tul ammo ONCE. Luckily I was at the range and they returned it for me. I was loading the mag for my P95 and the ammo was loose in the mag. I tried 4 different mags and all the same. I went and told them, so we tried different ammo and was fine. So, I WILL NEVER by that ammo again!!! :)

flybuddy 06-24-2013 09:35 PM

I've shot quite a bit if it in both AR and pistols but I'm an AR novice. Guess I've been lucky. Curious, you mentioned that mostly Tula was shot and there were apparently several ARs that did NOT have problems. Are some AR models more prone to issues with steel case ammo than others? Should this be a consideration when buying or building an AR? I would thing there's some value to being able to shoot significantly cheaper ammo without hiccups. Maybe that's why some folks buy AKs?

Sgt_Skrb_25 06-24-2013 09:55 PM

I don't like to run TulAmmo , but I have ran it in both my 16" middy and my 7.5" pistol. It was during the ammo crisis. They both chew it up just fine. I don't know if it was the BCG? I have Fail Zero in both , and have never had issues. What BCG's were ran? PSA?

Steel_Talon 06-24-2013 10:20 PM

I've run a ton of Tula through my Ak's never a glitch.. Never would run it through my Ar's...

ccase39 06-25-2013 12:29 AM

I have run about a thousand through my Bushmaster and have not had a problem once. That being said from now on I am going to stay away from steel all together. I don't want damage and now that the gun is broken in and the courting phase is over I don't shoot as many rounds as I used to and just spend a little more for brass.

robocop10mm 06-25-2013 01:34 AM

It is not the steel, it is the coating ON the steel. The cartridge design of the .223/5.56 mm is not conducive to anything but BRASS! The Russians designed the 7.62 X 54r and 7.62 X 39 guns/ammo with a generous body taper and (by our standards) loose tolerances. By comparison most western rifles are match grade. Any buildup in the chamber is going to cause problems.

I run TulAmmo and other laquer coated, steel cased ammo all day everyday from my SKS's and AK's with nary a hitch. I would not consider such garbage in a 5.56 rifle

unclebear 06-25-2013 01:44 AM

You gotta think about this, ARs are delicate machines kinda like a fancy sport car where 90% of russian / Eastern block weapons are more like my old work truck, one looks pretty and requires the best gas possible to keep her runnin nice and smooth. Where the other looks like well a work truck and you put what you can in it and she just keeps runnin.

You get what I'm sayin here ARs need good qaulity ammo made of brass where everything else russian can just eat anything that you can fit in the gun.

QueenGlamis 06-25-2013 02:45 AM

We have put ALOT of polymer coated steel Wolf (came in a regular box, not loose) and brass thru our Spikes mil-spec and not a single fail, jam, misfeed, misfire etc. Our friend has the S&W M&P and jams occasionally with brass (he has never shot steel) but is fixable to resume shooting. :)

The lacquer coating is not your friend, but polymer (from what I have read, not an expert here) is much better for the gun.

Surprised you found a place in the desert to go shooting in Kommiefornia!