Trying my hand in my 1st AR build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Trying my hand in my 1st AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So I'm trying my hand in my first AR build and I figured I'd post my progress on this thread. I've wanted to try this build for quite some time now. I figured now would be a good time to try. I believe I'm off to a good start. Hopefully you guys like the build and maybe offer some good tips and advice for a newbie like me.
So far, I have a Noveske lower (thanks again okdonk for providing that link!), scorpion grip, Troy ambi mag release, Troy ambi bolt release, Troy ambi safety selector. Timney 3lbs skeletonized trigger, Magpul ctr stock. Rainier raptor charging handle, and cmmg lower parts kit. I also have a spikes lower. Slowly but surely this build will come together.

image-2431234681.jpg

image-613513393.jpg

image-3888871726.jpg

image-3893860037.jpg

image-516624230.jpg

image-1079602375.jpg

image-4233022333.jpg

image-3057107934.jpg

image-2988298109.jpg

Last edited by nickel1911; 06-30-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #2

Liked 599 Times on 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel1911
So I'm trying my hand in my first AR build and I figured I'd post my progress on this thread. I've wanted to try this build for quite some time now. I figured now would be a good time to try. I believe I'm off to a good start. Hopefully you guys like the build and maybe offer some good tips and advice for a newbie like me.
So far, I have a Noveske lower (thanks again okdonk for providing that link!), scorpion grip, Troy ambi mag release, Troy ambi bolt release, Troy ambi safety selector. Timney 3lbs skeletonized trigger, Magpul ctr stock. Rainier raptor charging handle, and cmmg lower parts kit. I also have a spikes lower. Slowly but surely this build will come together.
That's definitely a solid foundation, can't say one bad thing about any of those parts. The most critical parts are still the barrel and BCG. What plan do you have for the rifle? That might help steer you the rest of the way. Also invest in the right tools to put it together, like roll pin punches , nom marring hammer, vice blocks armorers wrench ect. I've seen people butcher nice parts when building it. I know I made some mistakes on my first build. 15 builds later I have just everything needed to build with. Having the right tools helps a lot.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel1911
So are u a lefty?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #4

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Yes, definitely a great start, especially the Noveske lower. And the Spikes will be your 2nd AR!

I guess now you just need a milspec receiver extension kit (assuming the CTR is milspec) and can complete the first lower.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Yeah man great parts selection! That's gonna be a sweet build, looking forward to seeing it come together! Do you know what kind of upper you're going to use?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you are a lefty. Have you looked at stag's wrong handed uppers?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel1911 View Post
I'm working on the courage to start.......

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah I have most of the tools I need minus the vice blocks. It is a mil-spec stock so I'll be looking for a mil-spec buffer tube next. I haven't looked into them yet but I'm assuming one is as good as the next? I've been thinking about going with a Daniel Defense complete upper, but my hearts not set on it and I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'm not a lefty but I do like to switch it up from time to time and give my weak hand some trigger time.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Can anyone tell me the difference between a standard H, H1, H2, and H3 buffer? Which one should I be looking for to use with a 16" mid length gas system?

Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Do a google search for "Slash's buffer chart". Gives all the weight and which should be on what rifle.