Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Trying my hand in my 1st AR build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/trying-my-hand-my-1st-ar-build-91851/)

nickel1911 06-06-2013 02:08 AM

9 Attachment(s)
So I'm trying my hand in my first AR build and I figured I'd post my progress on this thread. I've wanted to try this build for quite some time now. I figured now would be a good time to try. I believe I'm off to a good start. Hopefully you guys like the build and maybe offer some good tips and advice for a newbie like me.
So far, I have a Noveske lower (thanks again okdonk for providing that link!), scorpion grip, Troy ambi mag release, Troy ambi bolt release, Troy ambi safety selector. Timney 3lbs skeletonized trigger, Magpul ctr stock. Rainier raptor charging handle, and cmmg lower parts kit. I also have a spikes lower. Slowly but surely this build will come together.

Attachment 104370

Attachment 104371

Attachment 104372

Attachment 104376

Attachment 104377

Attachment 104373

Attachment 104374

Attachment 104375

Attachment 108198

Sgt_Skrb_25 06-06-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickel1911
So I'm trying my hand in my first AR build and I figured I'd post my progress on this thread. I've wanted to try this build for quite some time now. I figured now would be a good time to try. I believe I'm off to a good start. Hopefully you guys like the build and maybe offer some good tips and advice for a newbie like me.
So far, I have a Noveske lower (thanks again okdonk for providing that link!), scorpion grip, Troy ambi mag release, Troy ambi bolt release, Troy ambi safety selector. Timney 3lbs skeletonized trigger, Magpul ctr stock. Rainier raptor charging handle, and cmmg lower parts kit. I also have a spikes lower. Slowly but surely this build will come together.

That's definitely a solid foundation, can't say one bad thing about any of those parts. The most critical parts are still the barrel and BCG. What plan do you have for the rifle? That might help steer you the rest of the way. Also invest in the right tools to put it together, like roll pin punches , nom marring hammer, vice blocks armorers wrench ect. I've seen people butcher nice parts when building it. I know I made some mistakes on my first build. 15 builds later I have just everything needed to build with. Having the right tools helps a lot.

darthjkf 06-06-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickel1911

So are u a lefty?

Quentin 06-06-2013 04:46 AM

Yes, definitely a great start, especially the Noveske lower. And the Spikes will be your 2nd AR!

I guess now you just need a milspec receiver extension kit (assuming the CTR is milspec) and can complete the first lower.

ZeusEcho 06-06-2013 10:41 AM

Yeah man great parts selection! That's gonna be a sweet build, looking forward to seeing it come together! Do you know what kind of upper you're going to use?

AgentTikki 06-06-2013 05:22 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you are a lefty. Have you looked at stag's wrong handed uppers? ;)

johnr1943 06-06-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickel1911 (Post 1268783)

I'm working on the courage to start.......:o

nickel1911 06-06-2013 10:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah I have most of the tools I need minus the vice blocks. It is a mil-spec stock so I'll be looking for a mil-spec buffer tube next. I haven't looked into them yet but I'm assuming one is as good as the next? I've been thinking about going with a Daniel Defense complete upper, but my hearts not set on it and I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'm not a lefty but I do like to switch it up from time to time and give my weak hand some trigger time.

nickel1911 06-09-2013 05:25 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between a standard H, H1, H2, and H3 buffer? Which one should I be looking for to use with a 16" mid length gas system?

roughneck266 06-09-2013 05:48 PM

Do a google search for "Slash's buffer chart". Gives all the weight and which should be on what rifle.