Troy vtac trx rail
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Troy vtac trx rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default Troy vtac trx rail

any difference between the standard and the alpha? I know the Alpla uses the standard barrel nut and the TRX uses Troys barrel nut . any advantage between either or ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have multiple of the original including one VTAC and picked up an Alpha a couple weeks ago. I personally don't like disassembling a factory rifle so the Alpha worked out great. I really don't see any advantages above the barrel nut and then only when adding the rail to an upper w/ a pinned FH.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yessssss my preeecious....the alpha is guuuuuuuuud.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I have multiple of the original including one VTAC and picked up an Alpha a couple weeks ago. I personally don't like disassembling a factory rifle so the Alpha worked out great. I really don't see any advantages above the barrel nut and then only when adding the rail to an upper w/ a pinned FH.
I appreciate and respect your comments , you and AT helped me out alot . looks like its on the way

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Awesome. Length/ color?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Awesome. Length/ color?
15" and black for my 16" barrel
going for a dissy look

Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #7

Troy makes a nice rail. I went with the Samson Evo for my rifle, essentially the same thing, just different looks. The only reason I went with the Samson is because at the time, the Alpha was just coming out and no one had them, and for the life of me I couldn't get my pinned FSB off. So I had no choice.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #8

Im going to take off my FSB and mod it to fit under it . I like the dissy look and I dont add alot of gadgets so I dont need a bunch of rails. I like to keep it simple , had to order a Magpul front to go with the rear sight also .

Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I just added a 13" Alpha rail on my 16" barrel and I've absolutely loved the first 180 rounds I've shot with the new addition. I should have done a weight analysis, but I almost swear the new setup is lighter than the stock handguard, while providing a much sturdier feel. Granted, you shave a good bit of weight by losing the A2 sight, handguard retainer, delta ring, spring, and snap ring. I too take a minimalist approach to rail space utilization but one thing I'm looking to add is a QD swivel mount. The Alpha rail provides so many mounting locations, and there are quite a few mounting options, but I think I've narrowed my search down to either the Noveske or the Troy QD swivel mounts. If you add a sling, I hope you post your mounting method and share your thoughts on the set-up.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
I just added a 13" Alpha rail on my 16" barrel and I've absolutely loved the first 180 rounds I've shot with the new addition. I should have done a weight analysis, but I almost swear the new setup is lighter than the stock handguard, while providing a much sturdier feel. Granted, you shave a good bit of weight by losing the A2 sight, handguard retainer, delta ring, spring, and snap ring. I too take a minimalist approach to rail space utilization but one thing I'm looking to add is a QD swivel mount. The Alpha rail provides so many mounting locations, and there are quite a few mounting options, but I think I've narrowed my search down to either the Noveske or the Troy QD swivel mounts. If you add a sling, I hope you post your mounting method and share your thoughts on the set-up.
Check out the IWC QD sling mount. It is flush w/ the outside of the rail. It's a super clean look.

I've used a few different styles and brands but the IWC is the one I always go back to.

-John Ruskin

Quote: