Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Troy vtac trx rail (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/troy-vtac-trx-rail-61386/)

purehavoc 03-29-2012 08:15 PM

Troy vtac trx rail

any difference between the standard and the alpha? I know the Alpla uses the standard barrel nut and the TRX uses Troys barrel nut . any advantage between either or ?

mjkeat 03-29-2012 08:27 PM

I have multiple of the original including one VTAC and picked up an Alpha a couple weeks ago. I personally don't like disassembling a factory rifle so the Alpha worked out great. I really don't see any advantages above the barrel nut and then only when adding the rail to an upper w/ a pinned FH.

AgentTikki 03-29-2012 09:01 PM

Yessssss my preeecious....the alpha is guuuuuuuuud.

purehavoc 03-29-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 755908)
I have multiple of the original including one VTAC and picked up an Alpha a couple weeks ago. I personally don't like disassembling a factory rifle so the Alpha worked out great. I really don't see any advantages above the barrel nut and then only when adding the rail to an upper w/ a pinned FH.

I appreciate and respect your comments , you and AT helped me out alot . looks like its on the way :D

mjkeat 03-29-2012 09:12 PM

Awesome. Length/ color?

purehavoc 03-29-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 755955)
Awesome. Length/ color?

15" and black for my 16" barrel
going for a dissy look

FCross7 03-29-2012 10:05 PM

Troy makes a nice rail. I went with the Samson Evo for my rifle, essentially the same thing, just different looks. The only reason I went with the Samson is because at the time, the Alpha was just coming out and no one had them, and for the life of me I couldn't get my pinned FSB off. So I had no choice.

-Fred

purehavoc 03-30-2012 12:43 AM

Im going to take off my FSB and mod it to fit under it . I like the dissy look and I dont add alot of gadgets so I dont need a bunch of rails. I like to keep it simple , had to order a Magpul front to go with the rear sight also .

ColdIron44 03-30-2012 02:59 AM

I just added a 13" Alpha rail on my 16" barrel and I've absolutely loved the first 180 rounds I've shot with the new addition. I should have done a weight analysis, but I almost swear the new setup is lighter than the stock handguard, while providing a much sturdier feel. Granted, you shave a good bit of weight by losing the A2 sight, handguard retainer, delta ring, spring, and snap ring. I too take a minimalist approach to rail space utilization but one thing I'm looking to add is a QD swivel mount. The Alpha rail provides so many mounting locations, and there are quite a few mounting options, but I think I've narrowed my search down to either the Noveske or the Troy QD swivel mounts. If you add a sling, I hope you post your mounting method and share your thoughts on the set-up.

mjkeat 03-30-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdIron44 (Post 756286)
I just added a 13" Alpha rail on my 16" barrel and I've absolutely loved the first 180 rounds I've shot with the new addition. I should have done a weight analysis, but I almost swear the new setup is lighter than the stock handguard, while providing a much sturdier feel. Granted, you shave a good bit of weight by losing the A2 sight, handguard retainer, delta ring, spring, and snap ring. I too take a minimalist approach to rail space utilization but one thing I'm looking to add is a QD swivel mount. The Alpha rail provides so many mounting locations, and there are quite a few mounting options, but I think I've narrowed my search down to either the Noveske or the Troy QD swivel mounts. If you add a sling, I hope you post your mounting method and share your thoughts on the set-up.

Check out the IWC QD sling mount. It is flush w/ the outside of the rail. It's a super clean look.

I've used a few different styles and brands but the IWC is the one I always go back to.