Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   troy or rra (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/troy-rra-52207/)

JonM 11-21-2011 08:36 PM

troy or rra

After playing around with my sw mp15-22 and the strikfire dot sight i realized that a similar setup would totally solve my 458 socom optic problem. With a set of magpul mbus sights the strikefire and a magnifier i could have a 5x dot optic for hunting or a 3x without the doubler. It would solve my issue of being unsure if my sight was zeroed as i could just flip the mbus up to confirm zero.

Now my question... i like the look of the rra operator ffloat hanguard the other option is a troy rail weight isnt a real factor. I have no doubt the troy rail mounts solid but i want the rra one. Anyone know how the rra rail locks in so it doesnt move??

I just need enough rail space for a magnifier the mbus and the strikefire. My upper is a midlength and has a generic aluminum ff tube

Dillinger 11-21-2011 09:21 PM

I believe the back end of the free float tube on that model has a dual threaded backpiece that replaces your stock "D" ring. You thread the back piece onto the upper receiver, tighten, then thread the handguard onto it and tighten.

I have yet to install one of these, but have installed others and they are pretty much all the same.

Post up some photos when you are finished. :D

JD

JonM 11-21-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 633066)
I believe the back end of the free float tube on that model has a dual threaded backpiece that replaces your stock "D" ring. You thread the back piece onto the upper receiver, tighten, then thread the handguard onto it and tighten.

I have yet to install one of these, but have installed others and they are pretty much all the same.

Post up some photos when you are finished. :D

JD

i will :)

that sounds a little wierd. how solid is that method?? ever see one come undone?? i would think they would shoot loose

Dillinger 11-21-2011 09:47 PM

Never once to be honest. Most manufacturers have min/max threading pounds per square inch to insure they stay put. You aren't putting it on 'hand tight'.

But if it worries you I have a couple of thoughts:

1) Loctite

2) Drill and thread a small screw on the underside into the replacement nut, thread all the way in once installed and top it with either Loctite or clear nail polish.

Viola' - No Problemo. :D

JonM 11-21-2011 09:58 PM

okay.

if anyone is going to have a problem with a product its me lol. you can sit me in a room with an anvil and a box of kleneex come back in a hour and the anvil will be split in half....

my main concern was how well the rra half quad attached. i think ill order the rra

Sniper03 11-21-2011 10:06 PM

JON,

Dillinger is correct. the Free Float Quad Rail is actually 3 piece. The actual large Barrel nut similar to a Yankee Hill barrel nut that takes the place of the regular standard Barrel Nut, Delta Ring, Weld Spring and Snap Ring. It is very sturdy and has an excessive amount of fine threads on it that the Free Float Operator Quad Rail threads on and very sturdy in supporting the free float quad tube. Between the Receiver and the rear of the physical Free Float Quad Rail there is separate Lock Ring that also is threaded on the Barrel Nut at the rear, that secures the Free Float Quad on the Barrel Nut. Also normally thread locker is used when installing them as the lock ring is tightened against the rear of the Quad Rail with a spanner wrench. I have never experienced any of them coming loose once tightened well. It is my opinion that it is a must to use thread locker! (BLUE!) If you look close at the RRA Website and the Operator Rifle you can see the notches on the Lock Ring. The Picatinny portion of the Free Float Operator Rail must be level with the flat top on the receiver when locked into position. There is also a tool you can buy to do this eliminating the use of a bubble level if you plan on doing several installations?

JonM 11-21-2011 10:18 PM

thanks bubble level will work fine i dont plan on doing a lot of these types of installs. if i need to remove it for barrel cleaning i can just redo the leveling.

that pretty much answers my concerns between the two of ya.

JonM 11-22-2011 01:21 AM

ordered the rra advanced Half Quad with Full Length Top Rail, Mid-Length.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/...advhalfqds.gif

Dillinger 11-22-2011 01:28 AM

Ooooohhhhh! That looks cool!

Looking forward to how you like it!

JD

JonM 11-22-2011 02:30 AM

thats why i was asking about how they are mounted heh. same price as the troy stuff but better looking.

i figure even if i blow up the vortex strikefire on the socom they will send me a new one :) ive read about peeps torturing the hell out of em so i figure it will do fine. the damn thing has destroyed everything else ive put on it.